23 Koh or Kaw???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Nov 26, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im up in the air on this one, what would you guys choose any why? Its going on a christmas present to myself, a 52" stander. Keep in mind that either choice will be fitted with a HD air filter kit. Dealer said he stocks parts for both, and relationship with both mfgs is similar. Im not real interested in horor stories, rather who has had consistantly better luck with a certain brand.

2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

kaw vs. kohler.

Kaw hands down. the motor has more torque than the same hp kohler. that's what does the work. check out kaw and kohler web pages for exact numbers.

Scot

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the 23 Kohler is a DUD compared to the 23 Kawi.

Do they still make the 23 Kohler?

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Not go against your word but are you sure you can get the kohler on a Wright stander. I would get Kawa anyhow. All the kawa I have had have been good to me and I would not want to hurt ther're feelings by getting a differ brand.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have kawis on all my mowing equip.Wouldn't have it any other way.Great low maintenance costs as well.I don't think Kohler has made a reliable engine since the early 90's.

6. NfdBrian

NfdBrian LawnSite Member

Mac,
    I have a 52" stander with the 23hp kawasaki motor. It is my first mower, and i'm actually looking into a 36" with the 17hp Kawasaki. The thing purrs like a kitten. I don't think they offer a Kohler motor on the standers. As far as the HD air filter kit, they didn't offer one when I bought mine back in September of this year. They also offer a 25hp Kawasaki. Good luck in which ever way you go.

Brian

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Brian, great to hear you like yours. I cant wait. As far as HD air filters go, look at my post in this LINK

8. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

I would go with kawa we have a 23 hp kawa it is great !!!. We also have 20 hp kawa with 1028 hrs on and still uses no oil, runs great.. An have a Kohler 20 hp on a walker an wish it was a kawa . The Kolher is hard to start when hot an noise like valve train at 515 hrs . an it drinks gas like a spong sucks water compard to a Kawasakie!. My next mowers will have kawa , cuz ya want power, good starting ,, Piece of mind of quality. just my thoughts.

9. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I've got the 23 Kaw on my Lazer HP and love it. The oil drain and filter location make for very easy maintenance on top of the reliability and power factors. I've also got the air cleaner kit and recommend it

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth