23 or 27hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bmh1202, Feb 9, 2005.

1. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

Guys I'm looking at new Lazer this year. My dealer has '04 23hp/60" in stock at good price. I'd like 60" but I don't think 23hp is enough. 27hp would be almost $2000 more. Any ideas? Thanks for the input.

2. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lazer Z Hp with a 23hp kohler and 52 in deck. Sometimes it is underpowered. During the spring there are times I wish I had more horsepower. I just recently got a Lazer Z with a 27 hp kohler and 52 in deck also. The difference is like night and day. I don't think you would ever regret having more horsepower. BTW the Lazer Z I just got is a new 04 model paid $7800 for it.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Go for the 27 hp if you don't mind spending the extra money. Your looking at 4 hp more and thats quite a bit when it comes to lawnmowers. In certain conditions the 27 hp would be quite a bit more productive than the 23 hp. Hope that helps.

4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I have the 60" 23hp Kawi Lazer Z and have not regretted it at all.There will be times when you may have to slow down a little bit in the spring, but for $2000 less than than the 27hp I would jump on it. I also have the mulching kit on mine year around. If things get to wet in the spring I will side discharge for a week or 2 then switch it back. 3000 hrs with no problems , buy it!

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Mine is not a lazer but a JD 737, 60 inch deck with the 23 kaw. and I have not found it underpowered a bit. I have cut some tall grass with it and no problems. Sure the extra hp would be nice but I just could not justify the extra $$$. BTW, last August I mowed a 1 acre yard that had not been done in over a year. Grass and weeds waste high, mowed thru it about half speed with no problem.