23 Vanguard info?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Can anyone give a report on this engine? Does anyone have info on it's displacement and torque? They call it a big block, I wonder how it compares to a 25 kaw or 27 Kohler.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to hear this as well.
    Scag uses the 23 vanguard on two tiger cub models and they are pretty inexpensive (by scag standards).

3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

KLC99

That is what provoked my question. It is the only Scag rider motor combination that is even remotely affordable in my area. I am not paying well over 9k for a ztr with an air cooled motor unless it is a big block Vanguard. I can't believe what they want for their mowers.

4. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know how they are pricing them up there but my local dealer had a Scag Wildcat 52" lc 26hp Kawasaki for $7500 on the floor a month ago. That's the same price I paid last year. With the air cooled version he whante $100 less.

Thats a long way from 9K. You might try shopping elsewhere.

5. Shady Brook

from Indiana

My local dealer quoted me $9600 yesterday for the liquid cooled 26 Wildcat! :dizzy:

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

You could make a trip to Texas for that difference. I know the price was correct because when I saw the identical unit that I have, I asked what the price was at that time.

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag: Vanguards very good engines, im still running a 52 walkbehind with a 16hp i purchased in 94, I run doubles on this mower when i use it, very little maintaince replaced coil and tires, belts, ect. Great Engine...Marks Mowing Service

8. tonirone

tonirone LawnSite Member

I just purchased a tiger cub back here in September, it listed for $7599, I kept haggling and made several trips to the dealer until I got it for $6300.
    I don't think that was bad dealing. He wanted to move it before his floor plan ran out and he had to stop making payments on it, he had been sitting on the unit for a while.I much preferred the Kaw engine as well but wasn't going to pay $9500 plus for it, thats rediculous when there ain't a lot a difference in the cub and the wildcat(25 kaw engine,run flat tires, folding rops, adjustable steer handles). They still have the same pumps and wheel motors, the frame may be slightly larger on the w-cat, anyways my in appenion it wasn't worth the extra money. One thing I do like about the vanguard is that it doesn't back fire when cut off at low throttle. I've cut some pretty thick grass and haven't bogged down the 23 vanguard yet. Most of all the velocity plus deck is awesome the discharge is excellent and bahia is no match, ONLY ONE PASS, even at fast speeds, no recutting!! The clipping are a little long when cutting tall grass(5 inches plus) but the deck does such a good job dispersing the clippings it hard for an unexperienced, trained grass cutter to notice. It all so leaves a niece clean, even cut even on the garbage grasses.
    Haven't cut any premium grasses(centipede, st. augustine, bermuda, fescue;etc) yet to see how well it stripes, have to cut grass kind of high to get a nice stripe.

9. tonirone

tonirone LawnSite Member

Hey guys, sorry about the misspelled words and confused sentences, got so excited talking about my new toy I didn't take time to proof read or spell check. corrections: The dealer wanted to get rid of it before the floor plan ran out and he had to start making payments on the unit. I believe the floor plan is about a year or more, and opinion is not spelled appenion, my appologies again. However, IMO the best time to purchase lawn equipment is at the end of the season, like now, you can normally deal better unless the dealers have a heck of a lot of parts and repair money coming in, they usually don't have a high mark up on there products though and don't generally care about selling for less than list. By the way, Scag had recalled the cubs with the 23 kaws because some caught fire, so they started using 23 vanguards, which again is a great engine. They could have put 25 kaws on the cubs but then the wildcats wouldn't sell, Scag are very proud of their products the pricing shows it too.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member