1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

23 year old Ford commercial walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DCE, Jun 11, 2008.

1. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Check this out. A 1985 Ford [yes...Ford!] walk behind. Saw this at my local dealer this afternoon when I swung by on the way home. Being a writer, I always carry my camera with me and today I was glad I had it. I've never seen a walk behind like this before. It has a 656cc [what's that in HP?] electric start Briggs engine, maybe a 48" or larger floating deck, gear drive transmission, and bicycle style handlebars. It is apparent that it has been repainted. The deck is paper-thin compared to the beefed-up decks of today. And to steer this beast, you turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go, sort of like the precursor to Hustler's H-Bar Plus controls. The hitch at the back of the engine deck indicates a sulky of some type was available.

No doubt, the sight of this one parked outside along with the modern zero turns definitely got a "what in THE hell???" reaction from me :laugh: Thought you guys would like to see what commercial cutters back in the mid 80's had to work with.

2. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

That is cool I like it looks like a beast thanks for posting.
  3. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

really cool find.

how much were they asking? 60" deck?

I never knew they made them then. Thought it was a newer concept. The looks haven't changed much over the years, just the price.
  4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I'd Pimp the retro look with that mower. How much were they asking for the old jewel??
  5. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

That is sweet
    thanks for posting
  6. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

That's pretty sweet looking. Looks like a tank.
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Was it for sale? How much? I would put that in my living room!!!!

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

looks cool how much $??
  9. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

DCE I find the picture in you Avatar to be more impressive than the ford mower is that a picture of you or your wife? Oh by the way, thats a nice looking mower.
  10. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member