23hp, 25hp or 27hp for a 60" Lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GripB, Nov 27, 2004.

1. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I'm upgrading to a full size Lazer with a 60" deck :blob3: and Exmark has 23, 25 & 27 Kohlers available on the '05 models. This is for my personal use, but I'm thinking the 23hp ain't enough. I do cut wet grass occasionally. I only side discharge, but I might UltraVac in the future. Would the 25hp be O.K.? Thanks in advance for your pro. input!

2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

ok some people will not like this but you are talking about the as series
    exmark made this mower back in the 90"s it made them.but the most you could get in hp.was an 18hp. 25hp should be fine for you if you are just cuting your own yard and plan to run a ultra vac in the fall.everyone wants the most hp.you can get this is good if you plan on puting 500hr's a year on the unit and cutting all day but for a homeowner doing his own yard you don't need it.

3. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, although I'm not talking about the AS Series. The 25hp Kohler is a new option on the Lazer Z 52" & 60" for '05. It's in the '05 catalog that I got from my dealer yesterday. But you think the 25hp on a 60" will be plenty if I plan to UltraVac in the future?

4. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

If your interested in this machine....pm me.....mine is going on eBay soon as season ends.....mine was a demo unit....still has under 100 hrs on it with mulch kit. :cool2:

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I like plenty of power but with that extra power there's a price to go with it. We have a 25 hp Kohler on a 60" deck and it has plenty of power. We mow some heavy wet grass at times and It dosn't hardly bog down any. The 25 hp should be plenty of power to run the ultravac also.

6. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I got pricing earlier today. It's only a $200.00 difference to go from 25hp Kohler to 27hp Kohler. I'm going for the 27hp (since I'm considering the UltraVac in the future)

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For $200 more its worth it.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I don't think chosing more power is ever a bad decision......no matter what your use is.

Derek