23HP kawasaki only starts with choke

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Great mower never had any problems other than hot or cold the motor will only start with the choke on. Once in a blue moon it will fire right over without the choke on when hot. But 98% of the time even when its hot it still needs to be choked. Its a 2003 model bobcat 60" z rider.

Also does anyone have a diagram to the choke cable linkage attachment to the lever on the carb? It popped off the other day and I can't figure out how it goes back on the lever with the little clip and ring that they give you?

Thanks in advance:cool2:

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Both of my Ferris IS3000's have never started w/o using the choke. Now that I think about it, any kawasaki engine I've had needed the choke.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

my kaw had to be choked also

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If it runs fine after it starts then forget about it.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, if it works don't fix it.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may have to remove the throttle control plate so you can get the link in the proper position to get it hooked back in the hole on the choke shaft, Then the clip spins and latches to the link just below the bend.

If you do take the control plate off scribe a mark at the center of the screws (on the plate). These screw holes are slotted and that's how high speed RPM is adjusted, When the plate is re-installed align the marks.

Doing this will save you the time of posting "How do I adjust RPM on my 23 Kawi".

Also watch the governor spring making sure it doesn't come loose while re-hooking the choke link.

[​IMG]

BTW, As the other's stated....Don't worry about having to choke this beast.

7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I might take a photo and post it here to get you to look and see if the clip isn't broken. I can't see why the clip that goes onto the carb is broken but I have no clue why it would just randomly fly off. No telling what my guys did to it!!!! they some how got a black rubber bungee straps hook to puncture and get stuck into a caster wheel on a mower this week.