23hp Kawasaki question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by YLC1, Jul 29, 2003.

1. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I have a 23hp Kawasaki with 575hrs that will start and run 30-60 seconds then cut off as if out of fuel(sometimes).Other times it runs all day without a problem.Could this be a fuel pump going bad?I've checked for water in the fuel and replaced the filter.By the way,the bracket that holds the fuel pump to the engine broke off at the screws and had to be welded back together.Could the pump have been affected when it fell over?The vacuum hose is secure.Any help would be great as I'm pulling what little hair I have left out with this problem.Thanks, Richard

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it completely die or just blurble for a moment like it is running on one cylinder? Mine does this and it is worse if it sits in the rain.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Check fuel cap vents. They may be getting plugged and this is exactly what the symptom would be.

4. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

1grnlwn:The engine will die completely.This has been going on for about 2 weeks and has gotten worse in the last couple of days.I've never had a fuel pump go bad so I don't know if it is a gradual death or all at once.

TLS:I'll check the fuel cap vents.I hadn't considered that.As usual I'm expecting the worst and overlooking the simple things.
    Thanks for the help,Richard

5. blairbuc

blairbuc LawnSite Member
    from CT

YLC

23 kawi is a good enging but they have had issues with their coils. Pull both plugs, remember what side, and look for darker than average color. You probably have one of two coils going south on you.

6. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

My 20HP Kaw. DID the same thing. I figured it out though. After a bath, water would get into the plug caps, and slowly build up mineral deposits (rust and other corrosion) until it finally decided to run on one cylinder. I looked at it, took a dril bit small enough to fit all the way down into the plug cap, and then wrapped steel wool around it. Ran the drill for a minute or so, then put some WD-40 in there, let it sit for a minute, and then reconnected the spark plug cap. Worked peachy after that:D

7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I would also check the coils.