1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

23hp Kawasaki smells like rotten eggs!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CK82, Jul 8, 2007.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I worked my 23hp Kawasaki really hard this past week, aerating a large scale apartment complex and know I'm smelling a strong smell of rotten eggs or something out of the ordinary. I've also noticed my eyes burning a more than usual. Anyone think I did some damage to my engine or maybe know what is going on here?

2. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

CK82,

No, I don't think you damaged your engine. What I do believe is you manage to purchase some bad gas. Purchase gas from somewhere different and see if your problem clears up. It might take a few tank fulls to flush the bad gas out. I believe you will find the problem will go away.

Best of luck,

Eric D:drinkup:

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your charging system and make sure your not overcharging the battery.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Hydrogen sulfide gas from a battery being overcharged or a bad battery.
    Hydrogen sulfide is highly flammable. Below is a link that tells more. Check your battery charging system.

http://mattson.creighton.edu/H2S/H2S_Info.html

Car batteries contain Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4). Charging the battery may produce Hydrogen gas as a by product. The biggest hazard associated with the battery charging would be off gassing of Hydrogen. If there were an internal problem with the battery, a buildup of Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
    gas is also a possibility.

5. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. The only thing is, is that it hasnt been smelling like this until after I worked the engine really hard while using my front mount aerator attachment. I will look into everything recommened.