23hp kawi coil gap question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scott's turf, Aug 6, 2007.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Just replaced the 2 coils and gapped them to .010 and I only seem to be getting a weak spark and the engine won't even fire up. What am I doing wrong?? Need help!!

2. scott's turf

from NH

on better inspection it appears that I am getting no spark. I am confused

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No offense, But did you install them proper side up ? (plug wire on the bottom)

Disconnect the kill wire on both and check for spark again. The .010 is within spec.

4. John Stiles

John Stiles LawnSite Member

What happened that made it necessary to replace the coils? Did you check the timing? ~john

5. scott's turf

from NH

I was hoping you would reply restrorob. I will go out and try that right now. Hopefully you stay online :)

I was only getting a spark on one cylinder so I assumed it was the coils and replaced both. Now I get no spark.

6. scott's turf

from NH

OK so it starts will the kill wires pulled? What is the purpose of those wires? I shuts down still with the key with a slight delay. Is that normal??

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It still shuts down because you are killing the power to the fuel cut-off solenoid on the carb, It appears you have a safety switch acting up causing it not to start with the kill wires hooked up. Check all the safety switches and try jumping them one at a time and see if you can find the bad one.

Good Luck

8. scott's turf

from NH

So the mower (exmark lazer hp) allows you to start it up without being on the mower so I figure it is not the seat switch. The brake and lever arm switches seam to be working because when they are not in the right position the mower will not even turn over. Is it unsafe to run it with just the fuel cutoff for the short term. I am so puzzled and I need to get this thing running for tomorrow and it is getting late and my hair is almost all pulled out

9. scott's turf

from NH

if I disconnect either the left or the right or both kill wires the mower will start but not if I disconnect the connector that goes to the key switch. I was hoping that would work so I could connect everything under the engine and button it all up and just plug in the kill connector when I found the problem. I am wondering if it is now a short in the kill wire between the coil and connector to the mower wiring.

10. scott's turf

from NH

There is no short but I am still confused. The kill wires jump from one coil to the other and if either is disconnected or both of them are disconnected the mower will start. The kill wires come together and plug into a white wire that goes to the key switch. If I disconnect that connector that goes to the key switch but leave the 2 coil connected via the kill wire the mower won't start. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.