23hp Kawie heavy duty air filters?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jomowz, Jun 8, 2007.

1. jomowz

jomowz LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the heavy duty air filter conversion kit on their Kawie 23 or 25hp engines? They are the shaped like a cylinder. Do they do a better job ?
    Thanks, Joe

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I dont have that filter on my 23 kaw, but i would guess that it has to do a better job since it much bigger...

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

they " the instructions " say that ya dont need to clean it as offten. or replace, I dont have it, and was thinking the same as you

4. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

is there one for the 15 hp. how much are they??? I dont even know if it would be worth it because the engine has 800 hrs and i dont know how good the first owner took care of it. PS... how long should a 15 hp kawisaki engine last if properly taken care of???

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

they are quite expensive..... seems to me there like 200.00 Ouch...

unless I read some VERY GOOD data I WILL NOT be getting one....

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The canister air cleaners do last a long long time. IMHO, they are worth the money.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

They actually filter better after they get the first coat of dust on them. You shouldn't clean them period just change them once a year. I think the manufacture will tell you not to clean them, they will keep filtering very good when you think they are dirty.

I've had a lot of experience with this type of Donaldson filtering system on combines. The filter on a combine is virtually the same as the one on my Super Z except a whole lot bigger with a dust cup.

I would service the air filter every 10 hrs. on a combine but you need to remember there is more dust going through that filter cutting soybeans for one week than would go through your mower in a life time of the engine. I would put a new filter in every year.

When I would pull the filter out to service it there would be a half inch coating of soybean dust over the element. When I sold the last combine it had 3800 hrs. on it and I would add a quart of oil about every 25 hrs. and change it at 100 hrs. The engine held 17 quarts so you can see there was no oil consumption to even notice.

Every machine that is run in dusty conditions at all should have the Donaldson cannister style filtering system on them.

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

just bought the lazer hp with 23 hp kawi and donaldson air cleaner. will see in the next few months how well it works.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The heavy duty air cleaner (large one with inner & outer filter) is the best!!!

I for one will never own another kawasaki with their stock air filtration.

It's the worst intake air setup I have ever seen. The major problem is that it is designed to feed dirty air into the airbox intake. Not suited for commercial use at all.

If you don't have the canister and you are like I was... cleaning the filter daily or more... it's totally worth $200 for the upgrade.

Just make it a point not to buy another new mower that doesn't have the canister.
    It hurts the feelings a little to pay $200 for an air cleaner to upgrade it to work like it should.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I can personally guarantee you are way ahead of the game with that system just remember not to try to clean it to often, I would recommend not cleaning it at all and changing it once a year.

When you use air to clean one never blow outside in always blow inside out and I promise you cleaning one is not necessary. It is a mine game you think it is dirty to you when it is actually doing a better job of filtering because the pores are smaller from the coating of dust. I have done this for to many years with excellent service from large turbo charged diesel engines. No wrapped filter just the large single cannister filter on all my equipment. You know if it will handle the dusty conditions a combine runs in a mower is no problem at all.