1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

23hp Kohler vs. 25hp Kohler

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Sooners, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I want to buy a Lazer Z 60" cut. The best deal is on a 23hp Kohler. I'm concerned because most brands offer the 60" cut standard with a 25hp Kohler. When would it benefit me to order an eXmark with the 25hp? It is approx. $1,000 additioal cost. Is there a way to block debris from coming out of the side discharge without buying the mulching kit? Thanks.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

It really comes down to personal preference. I personally like the 23. In spite of any problems Kohler may have had in the past the 23 came out after they had all been addressed in the 25 and it's been a great performer. I just haven't heard any complaints about power on the 23 that the 25 would have addressed. I personally can't tell much if any difference unless both are side by side under full load.

If most of what your cutting is bahaia and your mulching you may want to consider the 25 or even going with a 52" deck or possibly the 26 EFI on a 60". My suggestion would be to consult your dealer. He will have a better understanding what your local conditions would dictate.

I'd be interested to hear what some of the cutters in your area feel. It really comes down to price value. You may find after a demo that the 23 will do everything you need or that the 25 is the answer.

I don't thing there is a wrong choice when comparing these two engines. The both perform very well and in many cutting conditions you may not notice a difference.

Good luck

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I mow Bermuda and St. Augustine with a 62" Toro ZMaster that has the 23hp Kohler. This is the same machine as the Exmark, but with a Toro deck. I run doubles and find the 23hp engine has plenty of power, even in thick, wet grass. I don't think you will need to worry about this engine doing the job for you. It seems to be pretty strong.:)
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I will answer the easiest question first. A person could simply bolt the blocker plate on the end. This would prevent any discharge, but this will cause the unit to lay all the grass in a row. I guess this would be up to you if this were acceptable or not.

Now for the HP question, I would bet most people would tell you go for the extra HP. Both are very good engines, it really comes down to what you are looking for. The other big factor in this is if you let the grass get away form you between cutting. It will be at this time you will need the extra HP.

Thanks, Fred.
  5. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Get a 23 hp kawasaki!!! Pay a few more bucks for it but less than a 25 kohler. Try it and you will thank me. I have a 23 kawa on my ferris 61''. It is good on gas, doesnt use oil and it will last more hours than a kohler. I have had both brands but kawa is the way to go
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Kawasaki air-cooled is not available on the Lazer.

Plus they have had carb problems.

The liquid-cooled will last longer than the Kohler, but I don't think the air cooled will.

~Post again when your air-cooled Kawi has 3000 hours on it.

BTW: To answer the original post: for $1000, I'd buy a 23 Kohler. Tinge less power than a 25, but only noticable 2% of the time.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Kent Lawns wrote:
    Kawasaki air-cooled is not available on the Lazer.

Since when? Last year you could get a 23 Kaw on the Lazer Z (my buddy has one) and this year you can get them with the 25 Kaw.
  8. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Kohler makes a good product but my expirience dictates to me that Kaw engines seem to last longer. I have mowers with both engines but i tend to prefer a kaw. I know a few small engine mechanics and i buy what they say to get. Sure every brand has issues but i cannot gripe about the reliabilty i have had with kaw. What swayed me from kohler was having to put new rings in a kohler engine with around 750 hours on it. Maybe it was a freak thing to have bad rings but kohler wasn't much help since it was out of warranty.