23hp running on one cylinder and actually cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, Aug 2, 2007.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

One of the coils went on my 23hp kawisaki for my 52" lazer hp a couple of days ago and I am waiting for my 2 new coils to arrive in the mail. My worker has still been able to mow at a much slower speed but the lawns are still coming out very nice. He said that when the ultra vac was on it would almost die out going up steep hills but she is still getting by. I am glad that I didn't get the 19hp engine!

2. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Don't run the machine on one cylinder!!! The unburned fuel that is entering your cylinder is washing your cylinder walls and some of the fuel will find its way in your sump diluting your oil. Your hydro system is also not getting all the power it needs to run right!

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

no kidding dont run that engine fuel washes the oil right off the wall and it is wearing out sooooooo fast if you dont quit it will be blowing smoke when you fix it!!!:nono: :nono:

4. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Please tell us this is a joke.

Please.

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Do people not use common sense?

6. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I had a coil go bad today on a 17 horse Kawasaki attached to a Scag hydro walkbehind. The 15 to 25 pre kai Kawasaki's coils have been a problem for me, I'm lucky if I get a 100 to 200 hours before a coil goes bad. I keep spare Kawasaki coils in stock at all times.
    I agree with what's been posted by other's here, do not run the engine on one cylinder, it's not very good procedure to put the engine through, you come up with a seized engine.

7. scott's turf

from NH

The two new coils have arrived today. The mower only ran for 12 hrs on one cylinder. I am changing the oil as well in case it got thinned out from fuel leaking by the rings. If I could ever get parts when I needed them I would have fixed it the same day. But as always I had to order them.

I guess I didn't realize the potential damage that may occur. But at the same time I had $1k of lawns that had to be cut and none of the dealers around had any coils in stock.

8. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

A good dealer should have given you a demo model to use while your parts were being ordered.

9. scott's turf

from NH

Even if you are only buying the parts and not having them do the installation?

10. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

What part of N.H. are ya from???? Dealer out our way does.