24-5-10 50% XCU, 3% Fe, 17% AMS, w/Prospect

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 8, 2013.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm considering this formula. Reason = to improve color in Midwest turf.

Saturated soils, possible nitrogen loss due to record spring rainfall (we broke the record this year going back 141 years), cloudy/cool days, infrequent mowing, cuz lawns should be mowed twice a week right now, etc.

Two things our customers want:

1) The weeds gone
    2) Dark green turf

Agrium's 24-5-10, 50% XCU, 3% Fe, 17% AMS, w/Prospect is their "Cadillac" fertilizer for this time of year. Thinking about applying it at 3 lbs per 1000 sq ft.

Any thoughts? Thanks! :usflag::canadaflag:

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Is it cheap?

3. americanlawn

from midwest

I sent you a PM regarding price. Not sure I need P or K, but that's how they blend it.

Rough idea for others >> truckload price (880 bags) = under $20. Less than a truckload = over $20.

4. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What is prospect?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

6. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks RigglePLC. 30-0-5 50% XCU is probably what I will order. Agrium said the same as you. Historical record spring rainfall caused significant nitrogen loss in lawns & farm fields. Many farmers will be doing side dressing of N this spring.

7. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

I think that is a better choice than the first you mentioned, however can you get that with Fe too? That's what makes the dark green color. :clapping:

8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

larry, we used a very similar product last fall, with the prospect and 5% FE,
    color response was fantastic and long lasting

so is there 3 sources of N in that blend?

9. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks guys. I'm no rocket scientist here. lol Been told micro's don't last very long. Especially iron. I trust my Agrium rep and land grant university big time. They have never steered me wrong. Grassman177 knows more about micro's than me regarding turf.

Regarding the 30-0-5 .... not sure what's in the blend. But Agrium's XCU formulations have always done well for us.

10. buddee

buddee LawnSite Member

right now we are using a 28-3-10 with Uflexx and 5% iron, so far i'm really liking the results. :)

we are purchasing this from a ewing distro for around $18.50 a bag, we were using lesco 28-3-10 with 4.5% iron which ran us around $24 a bag from them, so the savings is great and the results are very comparable. the lesco was 50% slow release, the ewing is somewhat different because it uses Uflexx, so its not so much a slow release as much as stabilized nitrogen, so a little different than sulfur coated urea.