24-5-11 vs 28-2-3 fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 5, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I'm trying to compare which to go with. Obviously they are pretty similar and i'd like to use the less expensive one. I'm ok with paying a little more if it is worth the extra money. So what do you guys think?

24-5-11 is 25% slow release uflexx and also has urea. $17.50 per bag

vs.

28-2-3 25% SR SCU. $17.20 per bag.

This will be used on Bermuda grass and the rate will be 1 or .75 lb N per application depending on the round. It will get 3 applications.

2. countryclublawnllc

countryclublawnllc LawnSite Member

Grass, just comparing the N you would have to use about a half lb. more of the 25% Nitrogen product /1000 sq ft. to get the same N rate/1000. Overall if you want the P and K the 25 is the better bang for your NPK buck.

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I prefer the Uflexx over the SCU since it is stabilized. Do you need the extra P and K?

That Blue Uflexx mixed with the white sure is purdy LOL

4. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I'm tossing around the same things. And was fishing for info in the Nutrisphere thread I started. Last year the 3 products I used were
    28-0-10 w/50% xcu
    34-0-0 100% xcu w/5% Fe
    43-0-0 100 xcu

The year before that, I used 32-3-8 30%xcu w/2% Fe. I am not real concerned about the fe, since I'll run some in my May blanket app. I think I'm going N only. 43-0-0 100%xcu and 46-0-0 w/Nutrisphere coating. The latter is much cheaper and contains no sulfur. Most of soil have a ph in the upper 5's, so I don't really want to add much sulfur and not many people want 1-2 lime apps. BTW, this is in reference to bermuda, mostly rotary mowed,nonirrigated common or u3.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I run a blended ammonium sulfate 28-3-10 50%SCU 4Fe
    I do not care for the P but they do not carry any without it. Unlike others I have a high PH so without sulfur my Fe does not do much. Just found out it looks like I am going to be giving 24.65 for it this year.

6. countryclublawnllc

countryclublawnllc LawnSite Member

Grass, just comparing the N you would have to use about a half lb. more of the 25% Nitrogen product /1000 sq ft. to get the same N rate/1000. Overall if you want the P and K the 25 is the better bang for your NPK buck.

Just seen my typos! I was referring to the 24-5-11 product. It would take a 1/2 lb. more of the 24-5-11 at the .75N/1000 amount to equal the N of the other. Sorry about that!

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Got another quote from anothe dealer. They have a 30-6-10 50% xrt with micro pack. It might be 25-30 cents more per 1000 than the 28-2-3 but I could make that up on needing to carry and spread less material. Plus it's 50% vs 25% slow release n
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Grass: does your soil structure tend to hold available K? Or does it leach out readily? If available K holds in your soil, then you don't need to apply much extra K you are just wasting your money. Take the fert with the lesser amount (or no) K.