24 degrees outside

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jc1, Feb 28, 2008.

1. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Today I was surprised to see a company applying Lesco fert with Pre-M in my area. It was 24 at the time in South Jersey. It wasn't even one of the national chains it was a regional company. With applying this early I would expect that by mid summer they would expect break through. Any opinions on this early of an application?

2. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

It is probably a split appl. program. R2 will extend their control.
    When you have people on the clock you must weigh "too early" vs falling behind.IMO

3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have already seen true crap(green) and another company putting granualr down even though we have a bout 6'' of snow on the ground for the past month.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I'm glad I am small enough that I don't have to make poor judgement calls!
    There is absolutly no reason to be applying a pre or fert at this time!

5. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

how? the wheels of spreaders wont go through that.

Yes I dislike them too and have seen them applying too early, but never this early in Iowa/MN.

You stretching the truth a bit? :)

6. CrownLawnSvc

CrownLawnSvc LawnSite Member

Some research shows there is little breakdown in colder temps. Late season breakthrough won't be a problem, if the research is correct. My concern, and maybe undeserved, is waking the turf too early and getting the plant succulent before a big hard freeze.

7. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I think i will call and schedule a deep root for a couple chlorotic oaks . I need i t done with in two weeks .L.O.L.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, i agree it is a bit early, but some companies are so big they have little choice but to start really early. i start in a bout two weeks with fert and pre m. i don't think you run much risk with breakthrough especially with barricade, but making the grass to succulent can be a problem too early. otherwise it does not matter. many put it down as a winterizer instead with great results the next summer still. i wouldn't, but if it works

9. jbdavis

jbdavis LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Pre-emergents are broken down by soil microbes. These microbes are not active in these colder soil tempertures. I will be spraying baricade and roundup on about a 100 acres of burmuda and zoysia sod in the next couple of weeks. I put the baricade down this early just to save time by not having to spray the same 100 acres 4 wks. later. Never have any trouble with early breakdown.

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Take some before and after pictures of that Zoysia you'll be spraying. I'd like to see how beautiful it is in about 2 months after spraying it with that Special mix of Round Up and Barricade...