24 estimates, 1 signup. Need help.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawncuttinfoo, Apr 25, 2008.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

This is from a newspaper insert. I'm not hitting my target market. These people do not care about results, just price. My problem is the other companies advertising in the paper are the minimum wage, trim once a month companies.

Anyone have some ideas for reaching those people who are interested in quality?

2. nautica1580

nautica1580 LawnSite Member

Change your TARGET MARKET, trust me there are those customers out there that want quality work done every week. Go to Gated Communities, and high end areas and you will find these type of properties. Good Luck- God Bless

3. lawncuttinfoo

I passed out 1000 flyers, bagged with my business card included, to gated communities, 0 calls.

So sorry, I forgot to mention I have tried newspapers and flyers so far, bad results after 6 years of trying.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen you best advertising is word of mouth service your customer and theywill come looking for you.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Timing may be a problem isn't it still pretty cold......sometimes people will go ahead and get an estimate and wait till mow season to get other estimates.

6. lawncuttinfoo

My problem is that alot of my customers are mean grouchy people with no friends. LOL

7. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

I hear that...passed out 800 flyers just as the weather warmed and mowers could be heard being pulled out of garages... I got 2 new yards...
    I bid on a few yards and GOT hammered by companies with 9 guys that can have a yard done in ten minutes for half the price or a college kid with a Lawn Boy in the back of his rusty Geo Metro that will give your yard a cut that would make a desert dweller grin...lol...

8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I would give 100 bids. if i get just 1 i know i will make very good money on it.

9. Here is some food for thought. We have yet to try it out, but just an idea. Word of mouth is our biggest form of advertising and brings us some great jobs. Not only are we doing quality work for these people, but they let their friends, family and neighbors know about it. So why not make it worth their while for passing on the good word. We are sending out a letter to all our accounts to inform them of some changes and things we are trying to do to streamline our process. Along with that letter we are attaching a note that lets them know that with every referral we get from them, they will receive a percentage off their maintenance cost off. Yard size we gain determines how much they get off. Yes you may be losing a couple dollars per cut, but bringing in the new account more than makes up for the couple of weeks you discount the client. Like I said, haven't tested it out yet, but just an idea we are trying to work out.

10. larryslawn

larryslawn LawnSite Member

the problem with word of mouth is people don't talk to their neighbor's anymore. I hate to be mean but most of my client's are snobes who never leave their house