24 hp Honda engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dualsmows, May 8, 2007.

1. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a new "Z" mower w/ the 24 hp Honda engine... Can anyone tell me about these engines...likes and dislikes.

Thank for the help!

2. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

I've mowed with a Super Z with the 24 Honda, I didn't like it. The engine would bog down every time I tried to take off, even without the bladed engaged. I know I am a big guy (300 lbs) but no other machine does that. Not even other Super Z's with different engines. I spoke with the local Hustler dealer, he tells me he will special order a machine with a Honda for a homeowner if they insist but he doesn't carry any stock of machines with that engine. He also told me he would not sell that engine to a commercial cutter. Just my thoughts.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

It is also my understanding honda replaced a bunch of 24 horse honda's recently in hustlers because or thrown rods around 500 hours. I've got an 18 horse honda on my walk behind, great mower, but in a larger hp I'm a liquid-cooled kawasaki or diesel fan myself.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 24 Honda on a dixie chopper with about 1100 hours. Ive been very happy with this engine.