24 hp Honda intermittent cold start

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by greenleaf42, Aug 10, 2006.

1. greenleaf42

greenleaf42 LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

OK guys, I have a very frustrating dilemma. I have a Super Mini Z 24/52. Usually about once a week in the morning when I go to start it, it won't start. The engine turns over, but does not fire. It usually starts by the time I get to the job or get the repair shop. I checked to make sure it has spark and it does. I sprayed some ether in, so I don't think it's a fuel problem. I also unplugged one of the coil wires, which has all the safety junk on it, it fired right after I unplugged it, I though that was the problem. But a week later, it happened again. Also, checked the spark plugs and they seemed to be fine. Wondered if I should replace, even though I get spark. This has been going on for about 6 weeks or so. I'm getting a little frustrated. This machine still has a little over a year left under warranty. Any ideas? Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have you talked to your dealer about this?
    I will e-mail our resident Honda expert and see what he says.
    In the mean time, e-mail me your information along with your dealers info and your model and serial # and I will get our customer service guys looking into it also.

Pj

3. greenleaf42

greenleaf42 LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Just sent you an email with the information you requested.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have it and will forward it to someone that can help.

5. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Greenleaf,
    I expect the wire that connects the coil diode to the tractor harness is getting grounded intermittently. check all the connections to this wire and make sure nothing is "pinched".

Sorry for the delay, I just say this post.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Porducts, Inc.
    Authorized Honda Engine Distributor: Kansas and Missouri

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thank you for your input Jim.