1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

247 MTL vs T190 CTL (pics)

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Nov 23, 2007.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

So here are the comparison pics between my T190 and the 247B2 I got on demo from Finning.

**This is not a direct comparison between the 2 machines, the CAT has 1400 lbs ROC and the 190 has 1900 lbs ROC, I am aware of that, this is mainly to compare the physical difference between the 2 rivals**
    Side by side shots, both are the same length and the CAT is 2" taller and 2" less ground clearance:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doors open at the same angle, CAT is alot heavier and taller, but narrower and the CAT has the advantage with visibility, no wiper motor that you have to look around to see the cutting edge.
    [​IMG]

Quick attach, CAT is better protected, my cylinder was repaired due to rocks scratching the piston shaft, but I noticed how badly the mud got packed under the dual cylinders of the CAT Q/A.
    Bobcat:
    [​IMG]
    CAT:
    [​IMG]

Visibility to the Cutting Edge, same on both models, but hooking up to attachments on the CAT was more difficult:
    Bobcat:
    [​IMG]
    CAT:
    [​IMG]

Excellent visibility to the top of the rear of the tracks, same as the Bobcat, you just need to lift the loader up higher, mainly due to the Radius path loader, but it was just as good as Bobcat RPL's.:
    [​IMG]

One of the many things I like about the CAt was here in the pic, the bucket tilt pins are in front of the loader, not inside like Bobcat's, much stronger and no Q/A flexing causing cracks, also there is a solid chunk of steel that the Q/A dead ends on to giving the bucket excellent cleanout in sticky stuff, you can really "bang" or "slam" out the muck:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got it loaded onto the trailer for the day's work:
    [​IMG]

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Hey there are the pics I was waiting for.:) How many hours on that bobcat. Thats a nice new machine you have there. Don't you just love new stuff. Good luck with it and make alot of moneypayup

3. bobcat_ron

My T190 has 1753 hrs, a 2003 model, the 247 came with 2.1 hrs right from being PDI'ed at Finning.

4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Nice shots! Thanks for the quick turnaround. :)

What do you mean by the Cat's pins being on the inside?

5. cat2

from Mi

So why did you go with Cat? Why not another bobcat

6. cat2

from Mi

He said the bobcats pins are on the inside I think

7. bobcat_ron

CAT's pins are in front of the loader arms, surrounded on both sides by the loader, this is so much stronger than the weaker Bobcat design and there's no need for a tapered pin and bushing bullsh*t anymore.

8. bobcat_ron

The first jobsite I took the 247 to was the pre-load site, 32,000 tonnes of gravel to be more precise.
    ***This was the rock I was warned to stay the hell away from and I found out why:***

4 hrs of running over and through the rock, not paying too much attention to what was really happening, I occasionally buried the rollers in the 3" minus rock and kept on going, some minor cuts and scratches due to the rock getting caught between the outer lugs and rollers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a good one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was only 4 hours, and I only buried it twice, this is the worst and hardest rock to ever see the tracks, based on this, out of 365 possible working days I may only spend 3 full days actually in this stuff and the rest of the time is sent in much finer gravel, in the end it all boiled down to the "nutt behind the butt", I did get careless and I realized what was happening, but I was not put off by it, I just had to adjust my operating styles.
    After lunch I headed to another job to play in the dirt, this is where the tracks really came alive in the traction department. I spent 2 hours in the mud and composted manure slime, it was smelly, disgusting and slippery as snot, but that ASV track system never slowed down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ready to go home and get washed:
    [​IMG]

My overall impressions:

-Based on all the "crap" I've heard from the CAT haters, this 247 has just as much pushing power and torque as my T190 does, it's all in the speed and how you work the bucket and loader, getting used to a RPL was the hardest, 4 years of a VPL made me weak.

-Traction was insane, I could easily spin the tracks on compacted gravel if I had to while loading my bucket and going through the slime was even more fun, the softer rubber seems to grip better.

-The whole machine is better built than Bobcat, even O-rings have been placed on the main lower tilt pins, no one does that from what I've seen and it's about bloody time, sure the cab felt small width wise, but it has much more room in length than the Bobcat and it has a cup holder, SCORE!!!

-Cab noise was even lower then Bobcat, at WOT with all 4 windows (YES, 4 windows, rear side windows also slide!!!) hydraulic noises were practically non-existent.

-The tracks and undercarriage are self cleaning, on the Bobcat it was always getting packed into the tracks between the drive motors and the chassis, when you went full speed, you can feel the machine lugging due to the packing, the ASV design eliminates this and everything that can will fall back out leaving the drive motor high and dry.

-All major loader grease points are inside the pins, and all facing out, you can grease the entire loader without removing the bucket in 3 minutes, that's an impressive feat, it takes me 12 minutes to clean every fitting and remove the bucket on my T190 and reposition the loader, it's a pain.

I have not made the phone call to my CAT rep yet as I am still looking into the all steel roller option, but as I have stated before, I had to change my style, I can still run over this coarse rock, just not through it.

9. cat2

from Mi

Man O man nice clean new machine and you go run it threw manure.

10. bobcat_ron

I wanted to see if the sh*t could hit the fan!!