24hp Honda Carb Sensor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mb543, May 14, 2006.

1. mb543

mb543 LawnSite Member

I removed the carb from my 24hp honda horizontal shaft engine for cleaning. The sensor in the front of the carb has to be screwed out of the carb before the carb can be removed. The wire running from the sensor becomes twisted when the sensor is taken out of the carb. There is a spring under the sensor and ( there may have been some type ball) and it came out when the sensor was removed. I recovered the spring, but if there was anything else under the spring obviously it fell down into the shrouds of the engine into the tiny hard to find areas. Does anyone know what was behind this spring and what this sensor controls. I tried putting the spring and sensor back in the carb and now the engine will not do anything. It leads me to believe there was something behind this spring OR when removing the sensor the wire was broken ans no signal is being transferred.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Read the Top thread in this forum then do as it says, Then maybe someone can help. #'s

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

What exactly do you mean when you say - "the engine won't do anything" will it not crank? will it not run? did it crank or run before you removed the fuel shut off solenoid? we really are in the dark here.

4. mb543

mb543 LawnSite Member

The Model number for the engine is a GX670- the only 24hp horizontal shaft that is listed on the Honda site. The engine is on an old Lesco 52" zero turn mower. The engine had lost power - this is usually because of a fuel supply problem. I replaced the fuel lines and checked the filter which seemed to be OK. The only thing I found visually was a kink in the fuel line just before the fuel pump. I secured the fuel line to eliminate the kink. The engine did not run any better.
    I proceeded to remove the carb assuming a bit of trash had gotten through the filter and lodged itself in one of the small orifices in the carb. I removed the sensor in the front of the carb so I could further disassemble the carb for cleaning. I screwed the sensor out of the engine and cleaned the carb. Upon reassemble, I put the sensor back in the carb and was suspect of a missing part that was probably held in place by the spring which was inside the sensor.
    When I tried to crank the engine, it acted as if the battery was completely dead or a fuse was bad. The starter would not spin or engage. " It would not do anything!"

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That part you call a sensor is the fuel cut-off solenoid and there is supposed to be a plunger in the end of it. But that has nothing to do with the unit not cranking over and even with the plunger missing the engine will still run. I would suggest checking the battery and all electrical connections, Safety switches and fuses to find your no click no start problem.

Honda GX670 Fuel Cut-off.JPG

6. mb543

mb543 LawnSite Member

The fuse in the ignition switch compartment was blown. I must have grounded something to break the fuse. Runs fine - cleaning the carb was the power loss problem.