24hp honda wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by allinearth, Dec 17, 2007.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Got a 24 hp honda that won't start regularly. Took it in to shop. Compression up to honda spec. Changed plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter. Sometimes starts ok. other times crank and crank and it finally starts. Doesn't matter if hot or cold or how long it is shut off. I'm thinking carb clean. Any advice?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you have spark and compression and the choke is closing fully a good carb cleaning would be the next step.

3. allinearth

Thanks, that is what I was thinking.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just to be sure I would check the oil level, Hondas have that low oil shutdown thing, if it ain't exactly right say just a little low it might act like that.

Might not do anything, but it won't hurt.

5. allinearth

I Always check oil first when something won't start. I called the shop and they said they cleaned the carb. HMMM? Must have missed something.

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Is the fuel valve open ?

ericg likes this.
  7. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

First check the oil to make sure the low oil switch isnt preventing the engine from starting. If all is ok there then make sure that the gas stop vave salanoid is opening buy turning the key one click and listen for a ticking noise. If that is ok then check for a spark and if ok then probably the carb needs some cleaning or there is water in there or the gas.