24V and Unique

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Billy brought up a good point about higher voltage and just going 24v if you want to go over 15V.

First, it wasn't until recently that I realized why Unique recommends fused hubs. That should offset the worries about smaller wire and higher voltage, amp load issues, etc.

I would love to see the specs on this. Detailed with wiring configurations.

Can anyone think of any downsides? The biggest plus I can see is the savings on copper wire. When I install 10 gauge home runs, I feel like I am using 100+ feet of jumper cables.

I don't see the big deal in 24v as an electrical potential. Irrigators use it, and they work directly with water.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

well considering 120v can be safe if done right I dont see a reason 24v cant be safe if done right as well. I think using 24v just to save on wire costs or lure a client into a maint agreement is a bad idea tho.

3. Pro-Scapes

As for the jumper cable analogy look at all the 12 and even 10ga run in high end car audio and home audio systems. Irrigators use bigger pipe to keep flow up. So should you.

Im not against the 24v system but I am against the preaching of how its going to save me wire and I can run small wire with double the amps. How often do you really need 384w on a hub anyways ? You cant put more than 25a on a secondary anyways. Maybe Unique came up with something we dont know about yet.

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Billy, Your amp load configuration will change when going from 12 to 24 volt. Just as it does when going from 12 to 120. My curiosity is highly peaked by this 24 volt system. You know it may not be necessary for all applications, but I can definitely see a huge market for it. I can tell you there have been many times I could have used something like this. The only downside I can see right now is fixture and bulb selection on the 24 volt side.

5. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I could be wrong, but I think the fixtures are identical. Just use the 24v bulbs.

I believe even Kichler has or had a 24v indoor lv transformer. The MR bulbs are already available. I just don't know about all the other bulbs, but Joey mentioned GE is on it, I think.

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Mike, I believe you are correct. Now that I think about it, when we reconfiguire 120 volt lampposts, we just use the 12 volt bulbs, but keep the wiring intact.

7. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

This should help with getting things rolling. Mind you guys, I am learning a lot about the in's and out's of this new 24v system so I may not have ALL the answers at the tip of my tongue but any question you may have I will do my best to get in a quick and timely manner as I always try to do.

Although the 24v system is very easy to understand, this will require you to do nothing out of the ordinary except you will be able to...(Eddie this is for you)...use a bunch of "skinny" little wires to put a lot more lights on!! You will also consume less power or should I say use the power more effeciently as well as keeping your wire and tranformer cosst down. I know there will be people who will be skepticle of the higher voltages and that is fine, we expect this. But rest assured we have made all the proper checks to ensure our system will be and is ETL approved and is in compliance with Article 411 of the NEC.

James and any of our other fellow Canadian friends- I will be looking into where and how this will fit into your Canadian rules and standards and I will update as that information becomes available to me.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2234164#post2234164

Let the games begin!!

Joey D.

8. Pro-Scapes

hey tims a quick one today... I meant double the watts. With the 24v system if you wanted to get stupid you could technically run 384w on a 12ga... who in thier right mind on a regular lighting job has 384w all piled together in such a small area. As a specialty tool it could be useful but I would only agree to do it if I would have a garunteed exclusive service agreement on it. Too many variables with people putting in the wrong lamps and such.

9. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

We are developing some new wiring methods as we speak. We are going to have tremendous flexability with this system. I like the idea of being able to run 192w on a piece of 16/2!

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Joey, as long as the transformers, fixtures, etc are either CSA, ULc, or cETL LISTED FOR USE IN A "Landscape Lighting" or "Garden Lighting" system then you should be okay.

Seeing as most of your current line of transformers do not carry an appropriate listing for use in a Landscape Lighting or Garden Lighting system as per CEC, CSA, ULc or cETL, I see this as a good opportunity for UNIQUE to have your new lines tested to the appropriate standard. Go for it!

Remember, that it is permissable to manufacture a transformer that meets a myraid of standards. No one is questioning that. However, it is not permissable for a contractor to install an electrical device that is not rated and listed for the application in which it is installed or used.

Have a great day.