$25.00 or $25.95

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 14, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Ever notice that just about everything that retails in the store and costs over ten bucks has a price that ends with .89 or .95 or .97?

I was thinking of trying this out with my bids. Instead of bidding $25.00 per cut, I was thinking of bidding $25.95 per cut. I think the customer still sees a $25 price range. If I could gross an extra $0.95 per cut, it would add up fast.

Any thoughts?

PS: Please don't relocate this to the elements of business forum. More people will see it here.

Thanks
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. greensummer

greensummer LawnSite Member
    from canada

$24.95 OR $25.95

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

It can be a PITA when figuring out numbers. Just off the top of your head... what's 24.95 X 4 ? When you know that 25 X 4 = 100. Think you get the idea. :cool:

4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

That would be too much trouble for us. We have several people that pay us cash. Its much easier on them and us to keep it rounded.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

What do you guys do about sales tax? - In SE. Iowa it is 7%, so that makes numbers go bonkers.

6. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++What do you guys do about sales tax? - In SE. Iowa it is 7%, so that makes numbers go bonkers.++++

I service two communities. One is 8% and the other is 7.25%. All of my monthly statements are for odd amounts.

I was just trying to find out if people think $25.00 and $25.95 are the same amount. I mean, I know they're not the same amount, but what is the perception?

There's not that much perceived difference between the two amounts to a customer, I think. But when you start adding $.95 to every cut you do and $.95 to every app you do during the year, it can add up.

I think I'll start forcing myself to write down that extra 95 cents on my bid sheets going forward. What have I got to lose?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I agree with that to an extent but especially for people that pay weekly with cash. However for accounts that pay with a check or have a credit account with us (pay monthly) then I use the numbers to make the price appear slightly lower if I think it might be difficult to get the job. I look at it as “what will they round that figure to?” Lets look at it:
    $25.00
    $24.95
    $25.95
    $25.49
    $24.49
    $24.89
    $24.99
    $24.97
    $25.99
    $25.97
    $25.89

I think you get the picture- they all round out to something in the customer’s head. If I’m looking at a lawn and I think “this is about a $40 lawn” but it seems like the customer might not pay quite $40 but I want the job and don’t mind sacrificing alittle then I might say “$37.95” and it looks like $37 or $38 to them, which is indeed cheaper than $40 but it’s a good bit more than $35. If you only went by $25, 30, 35, 40, etc. you might be losing money. If a job is worth $40 but you might be persuaded to do it for $35 and customer probably won’t pay $40, then you can say $37.95 for example and it looks like a good halfway point but in fact it’s closer to your number than theirs. Maybe this isn’t a good logic :p but I do use it sometimes if I sense that this would make a good customer and I could get extra work from them and I need the work and they might not pay quite what I want for it.

In fact, one I have that I put at $37.95 and they pay monthly, usually they pay in cash and round up to the nearest $20 or $100. Not as a tip, but just as “paying what I’ve got and put the rest on credit”. Works for me because I always like prepay.
    However there’s something to be said for even numbers, I do prefer it more but again I only use odd amounts if I think it might help get the job. One customer told me they had been paying $25 but were dissatisfied with their service and basically I got the idea they might be willing to pay a little more for better service. To me it was probably a $25 job or maybe $30, but in order to make it look like they were getting the best deal I put it at $27.95 this way it’s plenty for me and they’re happy because they thought they might have to pay $30 for a good job. Also this lets me have room to raise the prices on these lawns without it seeming like so much. I can go to $40 and $30 on these two lawns and it won’t seem like so much of a raise because they’re still at the $40 and $30 range, not bumped into another price bracket (did any of that make sense?) Do whatever works for you.
    sorry this is long-winded but i hope it was easy to understand and helped someone.

8. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

$25.00
    $24.95
    $25.95
    $25.49
    $24.49
    $24.89
    $24.99
    $24.97
    $25.99
    $25.97
    $25.89

All are $25 to me. So why not write down $25.97 next time you have a $25 proposal?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Eric mind if i borrow that idea

I know it might seem comon place to just take it but i thought i'd ask first

And all that made perfect sence well to me it did

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I can't imagine walking a lawn and walking over to the customer and telling them I will cut it for 25.97. We have never had a problem with rounding to 5, if we think it just a tiny bit bigger than a 25 dollar lawn we just round it up to 30. I do see what you are saying about the 97cents adding up, but we like to keep it rounded when we bid.