25/54 Super WB Demo........ You have to look at one of these!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gr8pyrs, Jul 30, 2003.

1. gr8pyrs

gr8pyrs LawnSite Member
    from PA

I would like to post my recent experience on Hustler¡¦s new Super WB unit that I recently had the opportunity to demo. I have done a lot of ¡§lurking¡¨ here at LawnSite and received a lot of good information from many of you when searching for my next mower.

A little background. I¡¦m not in the business however I am a homeowner who maintains a large piece of property with some ¡§conditions¡¨ that need to be considered when using or looking for equipment on/for this property. Overall I maintain about 7 acres and out of that almost 3.5 is lawn. The rest is semi old growth woods with many of the trees 75 to 100 years old. Then there is the slope. ƒº From the front of the property to the back 650¡¦ and the elevation gain is 175¡¦. Of the 3.5 acres of lawn about 25,000 sq ft is fenced with cyclone fencing for the dogs my better half raises (that¡¦s where the gr8pyrs comes from).

I considered all possible pieces of equipment and over the 25 years we have lived here have tried a few. Garden tractors, Gravely two wheelers, regular lawn mowers and for the last five years a 33¡¨ gear/belt drive walk behind. The easiest to use to date other than the walking has been the walk behind.
    I ruled the ZTR¡¦s out early. I tried a friend¡¦s (he¡¦s in the business) and felt it would get a little dicey on the slopes in spots. He agreed. I also tried his Exmark¡¦s too.

Now, for the good stuff. My dealer delivers the 25/54 Hustler Super WB Friday of last week. First of, thanks to Pj for making that happen, Hustler¡¦s are new around here, at least the dealer is to the line and we needed to get one into town. We had a few minor tweaks that need to be made (thanks Pete & Pj) but then were able to get at it.

I was worried at first. I thought the 54¡¨ might be just a little bit too big for the places that I need to put a mower through. My mind was changed very quickly on that notion once I started running the machine a bit. I put this mower in spots that I would never have thought possible with any of my old equipment, and was able to get out. LOL
    The H bar system is one of the most intuitive operating systems I have tried. I¡¦ve used pistol grips, ECS (nice system) and the H-Bar is, IMHO, one of the finest. I hate to say it but you almost do not have to think. So easy to use that once my better half saw how much fun I was having wanted to try it. Now, she is not real equipment ¡§savvy¡¨ but within about 5 to 10 minutes she was zero turning and striping like a champ.
    Cut quality was very good with the stock blades but I¡¦m considering a couple of alternatives and may just go both directions depending on the conditions during the year. Double high lifts and/or a mulch kit with gators. My old machine mulches and I like that feature since the leaves that I get in the fall are ¡§out of control¡¨.
    I was cutting dry grass. I had three areas one with 5 days growth, one with 3 weeks growth and one area as a test with 5 weeks growth. Results: No clumps on any area. The 5 week area needed double cut to get rid if some of the ¡§tails¡¨ that remained and the finished results were exceedingly acceptable.
    Quiet operation for a machine of this size and the maneuverability was awesome.
    I wish that the dealer would have sent a Bullrider along for with that this unit would be ¡§the bomb¡¨.

In closing
    I¡¦m ordering one! (Pj any major changes coming for the new year or should I get this years model?).
    Please if you have the opportunity and were considering a walk-behind do not rule this unit out because of what someone might have said. Form you own thoughts by demoing one of these fine units.

Again thanks to all the members of LawnSite for your knowledge and to Pj and Pete (Switchless) for your personal support.

Russ

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There are no changes coming on that model series of Walk Behinds.
    Order away ............lol....lol....

Later
    Pj

3. gr8pyrs

gr8pyrs LawnSite Member
    from PA

I just might have to do that........ :)

4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Russ, I have a 25/54 Super W/B and your property sounds a lot like mine.
    This machine should not be sold without the Bullrider or equivalent, because there is no way you can utilize the full potential of this machine.
    Also I would highly recommend you order a parking brake to.
    Have fun! And I hope it saves you as much time as is has me.

Jeff