$25 an inch to plant a tree.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Feb 16, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a price list from a start up nursery on trees. Their prices on trees seam real comparible to what I have been paying. The thing that got me though, it said that they charge $25 an inch to plant a tree! Anyone ever plant a tree this cheap. Most of the trees they sell are 2" or 3." I was so blown away that I called the guy and asked him about it. He said that is what they are charging. I told him that I would hire him to plant my trees for me. I can't even do it that cheap. By time you figure in labor and travel.

2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

That is really cheap, I usually am about 200 in labor to plant a tree. Or more, depends on the tree.

3. jeffhendrix

jeffhendrix LawnSite Member

That is very cheap, I just planted a 5 1/2 in calp. live oak and charged $775 for the labor.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Did they mean an inch in caliper or an inch in the soil depth?

5. drsogr

No they meant an inch in caliper! I talked to him!

6. Mike_NTx

Mike_NTx LawnSite Member

Sounds too good to be true. If it is however, have him do your trees. I charge $100 per inch plus cost of tree.

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

they'll be out of business before summer i guess they offer free delivery as well!!

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lol, that would mean $300.00 for a 15 gallon plant.

drsogr

sounds like you nw have a good sub for tree planting

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do planting, but your saying that charging $900 to plan a 36" tree is cheap?

I've planted tree's that size for myself and it took less than a hour counting going and getting it.

Personally, I'd work for $900 a hour plus the markup on the tree.

Or maybe I'm missing something?

hahaha...Nevermind, I just reread and realized you were talking about width not height.

:laugh:

Nevermind.

10. drsogr

LOL tree size is measured in this case by caliper. Diameter of the trunk.