25 bales of straw

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by centepede, Apr 26, 2005.

1. centepede

centepede LawnSite Member

I have a customer that bought 25 bales of straw and wants me to put it down for him. I figure 5 bucks a bale...125 total. Does that sound fair? To high or low? Hope everyone is busy! :cool2:
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Too low,sounds better than it is
  3. centepede

OK...what would you charge?
  4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I get 11 a bale if I bring it(I pay 3 bucks) or 7 a bale if they buy it. Shouldn't take you much more than 2 to 3 hours if all your have to do is shake it over open beds. If lot of small spots to tuck it up in get a bit more. I would be 150-165 in that area depending on who it is and how long it would take me.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you are talking about Pinestraw/Needles then the going rate for most LCO's in NC and SC is around $7.50-$7.95 per Bale Installed (with the needles being supplied by the LCO at a cost being $3-$4 a bale) so you need to base your price on that. You may can get by with $5 a bale but you certainly shouldn't go any higher as that is a 1-2 hour job max so you may even be a tad high. NOW, this is all assuming that there is NO Bed Prep and you are just putting them down in an exsisting bed.

Also disregard prices people in CA and the Northern States may tell you because that won't flush down here and why a $150K house here cost a $150K not $400K....
  6. centepede

mmlawn, thanks for the help. 100 bucks will be a little more reasonable. The beds are prepped and all I have to do is put the straw down. Thanks everyone!!
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I agree and you will still be making good money on it for what little is really involved and by giving a fair price you may gain more work from the customer in the future!
  8. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

if they buy it i charge 2.50 oer bail. to spread it, and if i buy it they get charged 6.00 per bail installed. I pay 3.00 per bail for it and charge the extra .50 a bail becaues the time consumed getting it there, whether I deliver it or my supplier does, it still has some extra hassel.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

$7.00 per bale just north of Charlotte, Installed.
    I drop about 15 to 17 per hour once they are placed in the bed, You have to figure how long it will take to get them to the bed, (or maybe they are already out there).
    They are going up around here as the 1st trailer I bought ( Jan,) was $2.50 and the one I just bought was $2.85.
  10. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

This may be a bit off topic, but around here only in the cities will you find $3/bale straw. Go to the farmers directly $1-1.50 tops. If you buy enough the price gets even lower.