1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

25 h.p. kohler trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shane Matherly, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Shane Matherly

Shane Matherly LawnSite Member

i have a 2002 woods mid mount 25-60 25h.p. kohler with about 850 hrs on it. after about 100 hours like 1 out of every 20 times she ran after the temp was up to par i had a lifter pecking that could be heard a mile away and the only way i could hush it was to give it a shot of auto transmission fluid straight through the carb while it was running. might sound stupid to some but it is a godsend to any valvetrain by cleaning carbon. after that got old yours truly gave it a brand new set of lifters and that fixed it. by the way the lifters in it are small block chevy and most any will work. anyhow a couple weeks ago at only 840 hrs a magnet came out of the flywheel and thrashed the charging system. 200$ later a new flywheel and stator had me up again. anybody had similar problems?
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you do not use 10W-30 the hydraulic lifters will sound like there are getting ready to jump out and run away. I see it in my shop all the time. some one will use SAE 30 and the motor sound like it is going to fly apart. Change the oil and put in the 10W-30 and it will shut up.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The lifters are similar to Chevys but not quite the same. There is also a lifter valley kit that can help with the ticking. Kohler also has a new, improved lifter now.
  4. Shane Matherly

Shane Matherly LawnSite Member

didnt know the lifters were different but already put em in about a year and a half ago and i do use 10-w 30 they have not pecked since. think it might hurt it in the long run? what do think about the flywheel? would you change lifters even if it is running good? also what about backfire on shutdown with 87 octane but not 93.
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

"think it might hurt it in the long run?"
    Kohler with hydraulic lifters are meant to use 10w-30 ALL the time