25 hp Kawasaki fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bcsman, Aug 11, 2006.

1. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Just purchased a used Cub M60 Tank and mowed for the first time time. It has the 25 hp Kawasaki engine. Really impressed with the cut and how it drives. Have a question however about the fuel consumption. I mowed for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours and seemed to go thru about 4-5 gallons of gas. I didn't monitor the actual usage, but in general how much fuel do these engines burn?? If my figures are semi close that's 2 gallons per hour--sounds like alot! I'll try to get a more accurate reading next time I mow. Just like to see what anyone else has found with this engine.

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

My 25 hp Kawasaki on my Gravely 260Z has about 610 hours on it and is getting about 1.2 gph while using a mulch kit.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

1.2 sound about right and actually good with a mulch kit...

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Well I run Amsoil and that helps with fuel efficiency.

5. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Yeah in the spring when grass is heavy on a weekly basis ours will consume 1.3 gph or so and when the grass slows down it will drop to about 1.2gph where the book shows thats what an individual could expect.

6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same problem once. I changed the air filter and plugs...all was much better. The air filter looked great. I guess it wasn't. It's worth a try.

7. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Air filter is brand new, but not sure about the plugs. I'll check those tomorrow. Also will top off one of my tanks next time I mow and get a better idea what my fuel consumption is.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Is the engine brand new... tight and still trying to seat...
    This is normal for new Kawi's.
    They will usually settle down to a gallon-gallon and a quarter an hour.

Recently I had been running the heavy duty 3" wide highlifts in really hot dry weather.
    Gas also went up, so I went down in octane to stay at or under $3 gallon.
    My consumption has jumped from 1 gal/hr to 1.5 gal/hr.

At this point I'm not sure if it is the heat, the heavy blades, the lower octane, or if I'm in need of a tune up and/or new air filter.

I guess this is where that filter-minder thingy for the canister system comes in handy.
    Takes the guesswork out of wondering about a filter that looks good.

Anyways, the one other thing I can think of is maybe you need an oil change.
    Maybe it's old or maybe it has crappy oil or the wrong grade oil in it...

9. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Envy,
    526 hours on the mower--just got it last weekend!

Oil changed, air filter new, not sure about plugs will look at today.

Next time I mow I'll fill up one tank and shut the other one off to get a better idea. Not really sure how much fuel I put in before mowing, just seemed to use more than what I'm used to with my JD 425 and 20 hp Kawasaki! Definitely took some mowing time off tho, so that may be the even-out factor!