25 HP Kawasaki leaking oil - everywhere!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by icwhite, Nov 3, 2007.

1. icwhite

icwhite LawnSite Member

Have a 25hp kawasaki on a Wright Sentar, it has 250 hrs on it and it started leaking oil while it is running. I cleaned it up and seen it was coming from the oil fill tube, so I removed it and put on a new o-ring. Ran it a few minutes and seen it is still leaking there and also all around the engine oil seems to be coming out all around the engine. It's like there is too much pressure. Any ideas ?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Is the oil level too high ? Does the oil smell like fuel ?

3. icwhite

icwhite LawnSite Member

I put on a new filter and changed the oil today, I checked the oil level again (just now) and it is a little below the normal level. I check the level by wiping off the oil on the stick and putting it in without screwing it in. I couldn't smell gas in the oil or on the oil stick. It was leaking prior to this, after I cleaned it up and started running it after about 3-4 minutes oil stated leaking again.

4. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Pics? Does the oil look like its coming from the base gasket that goes around the engine? You should be able to see the seam that goes around the block. What oil weight are you using? What outside temps are you starting in? If you are running say straight SAE30 in cold temps then you probably blew the base gasket from too much pressure.

5. icwhite

icwhite LawnSite Member

I was using 15W/30 synthetic, I thought it may have been the oil , when I changed the oil I put SAE-30 in it and it still leaks. It does look like it is leaking around the base of the engine. When the engine is running I can see it running out from around the base of the fill spout - I had changed the o-ring in the fill spout and it still leaks. The operating temperature here has been 60 to 95 deg F.

6. hotrodsnapper

hotrodsnapper LawnSite Member

I'm sure somebody would have suggested this if it applied to this engine, but have you looked at the PCV valve?

Anytime I have seen a leak that only happens when an engine is running this has fixed it (way too many worn out cars). The crankcase volume changes while the engine is running, and the PCV allows air out but not in, keeping the crankcase under vacuum. If the PCV is not closing all the way, the crankcase gets pressurized whenever the piston(s) move down the stroke. This forces oil out anything that isn't airtight, like your oil fill tube.

Resto or khouse (or any of the other Kawi gurus) should be able to tell you how to locate and check the PCV. It should be a pretty cheap part.

GO FRED THOMPSON 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!

7. Restrorob

Engine model and spec numbers would help, It sounds like the base gasket is blown out as bobcat mentioned. This is not a un-common occurrence.

8. icwhite

icwhite LawnSite Member

It is a FH721V 25.0 hp. No I have not looked at the PVC valve, I am not sure where it is located. I will look for it and see if this maybe it. I want to look at all the easy problems first before I go pulling the engine. thanks

9. Restrorob

The breather reed assembly is on top of the block under the flywheel, If this were the problem it would be blowing oil into the air filter assembly and smoking.

If the gasket is leaking the engine has to come off anyway to repair it.

[​IMG]

10. icwhite

icwhite LawnSite Member

Thanks Restrorob for the detailed info. The engine has been smoking for a while, I thought the carb was running rich. I have been through 2 sets of plugs (fouled them ) this summer. I did notice some oil in the bottom of the air breather - I was wondering how it got there. sounds like you nailed my problem. Thanks to all , I appreciate all the help from this site !