1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

25 hp kawasaki - over speeding!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by verdval, Nov 16, 2003.

1. verdval

verdval LawnSite Member

We have a demo unit- 52 " super Z w/ 25HP kaw w/ BacVac.
    Demo going along great all day. Suddenly engine started over speeding as if stick got into governor spring. Not the case. Engine clean.

We would reduce the RPMs manually and control engine speed OK but then RPMs would drop way down (as if engine was normal in half throttle position). Upon increaing throttle control to normal max position, engine would eventually overspeed again.

Any thoughts on this?
    Is this inherent to Kawasaki 25HP?
    Is this just a fluke?
    Should we avoid buying this machine????
    We love its performance otherwise!
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like the governor needs to be adjusted.
    The clamp bolt and nut on the governor arm sounds like they need to be tightened and adjusted.
    I would get this unit back to the dealer ASAP, it is not safe to run the unit as is.
    This would not discourage me from the Kawasaki engine, it is merely a fluke that it is happening.....
    The only reason I would go to another engine is to get more HP, but for the 52" you should be fine.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you

3. verdval

verdval LawnSite Member

Dealer is coming here to pick up this demo machine and look into it.
    Seems like not an adjustment because of the speed fluctuations (surges). I am not the expert here so we'll see what dealer says. On phone dealer mentioned dirt (in fuel?)
    Thanks for restoring confidence, we'll be handing dealer a check for a new 52" w/ 25hp kawasaki this am.

This unit was easier to control than other brand machines we demonstrated. The BacVac took all but the deepest, wet leaves.
    In dry conditions we could almost go full ground speed and get the leaves up, only slowing for "drifts" of deeper leaves in corners. Dumping leaves out of BacVac was FAST!
    WE ARE IMPRESSED WITH THIS MACHINE! (another in Spring maybe)