25 Hp Kawasaki Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DFENDER, Jun 9, 2004.

1. DFENDER

DFENDER LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I WILL PREFACE THIS WITH I AM AN ENGINE NOVICE. I HAVE NOT BEEN EXPOSED TO WORKING ON THEM A LOT, BUT AM WILLING TO WITH INSTRUCTION. I HAVE A BRAND NEW (19 HRS) 25 HP KAWASAKI ENGINE IN A ZTR MOWER THAT ACTED LIKE IT WAS FLOODING OUT AND WOULD NOT START. TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER, AND THEY GOT IT RUNNING AND SAID THEY THOUGHT MAYBE WATER WAS IN THE TANK. THEY DID NOT DRAIN THE TANK AND I AM NOT SURE WHAT THEY DID TO GET IT RUNNING. IT WAS NEW, UNDER WARRANTY, SO I DID NOT ASK TOO MANY QUESTIONS.

STARTED MOWING WITH IT LAST NIGHT AND AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO, IT STARTED ACTING FUNNY AGAIN. I COULD TELL THE RPM'S WERE LOWER AND EVERY TIME THE PTO IS ENGAGED, IT IS ALL IT CAN DO TO KEEP RUNNING. WHEN YOU TRY TO MOVE THE MOWER WITH THE PTO, IT REALLY WANTS TO FLOOD OUT.

I HAVE TRIED STP GAS TREATMENT AND GAS DRY IN EACH TANK AND IT STILL DOES NOT SEEM TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

MY QUESTION IS, WOULD WATER IN THE GAS LINE LET THE MOWER OPERATE OVER AN HOUR AND THEN SHOW UP AGAIN AND GIVE THE ENGINE PROBLEMS?

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO TRY? I AM THINKING I WILL DRAIN ONE OF THE GAS TANKS, PUT NEW GAS IN AND TRY IT AGAIN. DOES ANYONE THINK THIS IS THE PROBLEM, OR SHOULD I BE MORE WORRIED? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

No. water sinks to the bottom in a gas tank. The pick up is in the bottom of the tank so the water would be the first thing you would get. If it runs for an hour before it starts acting up I would have to ask if the coil is getting hot. The next time it starts acting up and dies check the spark while it is still hot. From what you are saying it sounds like the coil MAYBE getting hot. That may not be the problem but it is something to thank about. Good luck

3. southerngroundscare

southerngroundscare LawnSite Member

I had a 23 Kaw that did the same thing. Took it to the dealer under warranty and they said they cleaned the carb but it kept doing the same thing. Sounds like the coil going bad. When it acts up try removing the plug wire from one of the plugs while it is running. Use a pair of insulated pliers or it will knock you on your ass. If the engine runs WORSE then that means the coil is good so put the wire back on and try removing the other plug wire. If the engine continues to run bad and does not change (better or worse) then that is the bad coil.

4. southerngroundscare

southerngroundscare LawnSite Member

Oh and also J-Thomas.com has good prices on coils.

5. Mr Dane

Mr Dane LawnSite Member

i have had thesame problem with kohlers and kaws on the carb float bowl there is a solenoid valve unscew and take the needle out that has been known to become stuck i have 6 25hp kaws and 4 23hp kaws and 10 kohlers i have done that to all of them and have not had a problem since

6. DFENDER

DFENDER LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

This may be a silly question, but what function does the needle serve? It will not hurt the engine to remove it? Thanks for your help.

7. Mr Dane

Mr Dane LawnSite Member

it shuts the fuel off it is an osha thing butthey cause more problems than they are worth no it will not hurt the engine

8. DFENDER

DFENDER LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks. I appreciate the help! I'll attempt to remove it and let you know if it solves the problem!