25 HP Kawasaki won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnMowerBoy48, Nov 5, 2005.

1. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

I have a 25 horsepower kawasaki on my Wright Stander. It was running fine for most of the day and then it just stopped running. I can get it to fire by using starting fluid into the air filter but it only will run briefly off of that. I am assumed fuel wasn't getting to the carb, so I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter to no avail. Hope someone has some advice. Thanks, Tyler

2. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

spark plug?

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

is their fuel in the filter and in the carb id say you have a clogged main jet

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I second the clogged main jet, Although if it's equiped with a fuel cut-off solenoid that could be hanging up or could have dropped voltage.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

rocker arm come loose?

6. LawnMowerBoy48

I don't think it is the spark plugs because it will start on starter fluid. How would I go about cleaning the main jet or checking the solenoid. Thanks Tyler

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you unplug the solenoid and screw it out of the carb. the main jet is right inside the hole, Use a can of choke spray cleaner with the little tube on the valve and stick it in the hole and spray. If you have a air compressor blow a little air through it after spraying the cleaner. Take the solenoid while in your hand and plug it back in, Hold the hex part to any part of the engine that will make a ground the turn the key switch on. It should pull the plunger in if it's working properly.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

may sound stupid, but what about air filter?

I ran into a similiar problem like this on one of my 15HP Kaw. It was the air filter

9. LawnMowerBoy48

The solenoid and main jet seem to be the best possibilty of why it is not running. The airfilter and prefilter were replaced last week. THe fuel filter does have fuel in it. Appears to have a little less in it than I am used to seeing. Another thing when the problem occured the engine just flat out stopped. No trouble starting before, was running strong, no sputtering or power loss, just flat out stopped. Thanks for all of the advice I appreciate it. Tyler

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how about a neutral safety switch?