25 hp kohler carb/muffler problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bactrac, Jan 25, 2005.

1. bactrac

bactrac LawnSite Member

I've had a Deweze Slope Mower for almost 2 years and have had problems with the new muffler from Deweze $270 burning off the mower after only 5 hours. The flame from the exhaust ports is blue and evidently the carb is out too lean/rich. When I got the low bid in a municipal auction the unit had 295 hours and now only has @302 hrs. The city had rigged a cheap pancake muffler (1) to the two exhaust port pipes. I wanted it quiet before I heard feedback on the excessive noise - sounds like a midlife crisis bike (hog), so I ordered the factory muffler for $270 from Deweze and it lasted 1 afternoon before burning and falling off the mower. I need to know about carb adjustments before fixing this expensive muffler so I can use this beast and probably sell it. New ones are $19000 to $20000. This one is hardly used so I'll get it back to new condition (paint, clean) and sell it off for 9-10K on Ebay. Thanks for helping.

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

bactrac this is very odd, there is something way out of whack here. In order for that much heat to be generated for the brand new muffler to fall off something is grossly out of kilter. I would think the machine would be exhibiting other symptoms. This is not normal. No manufacturer produces a unit that burns mufflers off in one afternoon. There could be a lot of things wrong but we need some symptoms to help diagnose the problem. Just off the top of my head too much fuel as in rich will continue to burn in the muffler creating heat but for it to fail this fast I would think you would notice it running bad. Maybe the choke is on maybe the float in the carb is stuck open. What do the plugs look like? What does the air filter look like?

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If you have flames shooting out burning the muffler then you probibly have something wrong with your valves.

4. bactrac

bactrac LawnSite Member

I've owned this Deweze for over 1.5 years now. Bought it to use sparingly due to its complexity - more so to refurbish the unit and resell for some easy money - if that sort of money still exists. On to the symptoms - plugs are a light tan (ceramic) with tips in fair shape. Mower is very loud like a (non factory) hog, with the pancake, Deweze, and of course no muffler at all. Loud exhaust, not drive train-as if you could hear the drive train. As stated previously there is mostly medium blue flame exiting the remains of the muffler. I wanted to go into carberator adjustments and have heard that the adjustment screws are the hidden type where you have to drill out the aluminum to expose them - heard from a small engine mech wiz. Set up the fuel/air mix correctly and then proceed to the top end valve train if necessary. Will the Kohler site with manuals describe the hidden screw locations/adjustments? I'm going to get this mechanic to do this part before I "screw" it up royally. Any and all help on this would greatly be appreciated.
    Oh yeah - Don't think the Toro dealer will get anymore new Z-master sales from me - I tried to get his shop to work on the Deweze since it has a 25 hp Kohler just like the on my 355 Z-Master and he said he would not service it since he did not sell this brand - He does not sell exmarks, JD's, etc. but its funny they are all over his place. Must all be trade ins! Thanks for your advice.

5. Travis Followell

from KY

You can download repair manuals off of kohlers website for free. I'm sure it will tell you how to adjust the carburetor correctly.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I can't speak for the 25 HP Kohler, but I had an old Ransom 6000 with a 40 HP Continental 4 cyl that had some kind of reducer that lowered the HP to 28HP. I took it to the dealer for a check up to ready it for spring. When I went to pick it up the exhust pipes turned cherry red in a matter of minuets. Some one had messed with the timming and left it that way.I was not a happy camper. The service manager jumped all over the guy that worked on it.

Your problem may also be timming related.

Gene

7. bactrac

bactrac LawnSite Member

I appreciate all the good suggestions and will start the troubleshoot this week. One good thing is that my tractor dealer who has treated me great when it comes to the new glitches in the Ferris 5000 diesel has recently started to sell Deweze slope Mowers. Bye-Bye ungrateful Toro dealer, Hello tractor dealer! Thanks for your time and productive input once again. :D

8. Travis Followell

from KY

What kind of glitches have you had in the Ferris 5000?

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, with all of my back-yard mechanical wisdom. That heat has to be from a motor that is out of time. Valves would make it run rough or not at all. Carb should be adjusted also. That mechanical whizthat you know should be able to check the timing for you. Good luck with it.

10. bactrac

bactrac LawnSite Member

I swapped identical carbs from a Toro with the 25hp Kohler and the exhaust port on the left bank (if sitting on the mower) is still glowing the pipe red hot. The right bank is not glowing at all. This seems to indicate that the carb is not the root of this issue and that timing may be ruled out as well. Could the lifters/rods be sticking and not allowing the exhaust to travel or be causing a lean out condition on the left bank?
    Travis - sorry to not respond quickly - computer virus during taxtime Lots of fun! My Ferris 5000 runs great - the cooling system recall was commanded at the start of the 04 cut season - horrible timing. The upper/lower A-arms broke on one side of the unit in September 04 - Ferris would warranty the problem however had no A-arms made to fix it so I really stressed since my backups were another problem. Ferris did not offer and would not supply a backup when asked and that roasts my chestnuts! So I was lucky that a millionaire developer friend with a 48"Exmark graciously let me borrow his unit. Then I had to stay on the phone and babysit the parts thru production, paint, and shipping until my tractor dealer could bale me out once again. Ferris could learn that customer service is key to keeping customers - good equipment is only half of the sale. Backing us up is the other half and they've left me in the cold twice in one year!