25 hp Kohler KNOCKING

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Rose, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like my mower will be spending a good deal of time at the dealer... I have about 50 hours on it and the engine is KNOCKING bad. Not the old hydraulic valve lifter ticking either, this sounds like the piston is slapping the end of the head BAD. Started a few days ago and was only noticable at idle, now it's doing it pretty much all the time and is VERY audible.

Also the engine does NOT want to run in the heat. the past few days have been in the mid to upper 90's and its acting like it's vaporlocking while running, basically acting like it's starved for fuel.

Nothing like buying a BRAND NEW machine so I don't have all the down time and then having all these problems....

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't know about the bigger kohler engines, but, one problem, could be a crankshaft became under lubricated and warped due to heat caused by friction, another, VERY unlikly due to the noise you discribed, is an out of allingment carb.

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

If that engine is covered under warranty and you don't have any maintenance issues on your part, I'd say run it hard until it drops. You don't want anyone trying to decide whether to rebuild it or replace it.