25 Kaw, 26LC Kaw, 28EFI Kohler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by kfish, Jan 14, 2006.

1. kfish

kfish LawnSite Member

Getting ready to buy a Super Z. Please give me your opinions on which one to buy?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am assuming a 60" mower is what your looking at since you listed the 28 EFI option.
    I am very partial to the EFI, I love that engines power and responsiveness, along with its fuel economy.
    It comes down to your personal preference really, that and hp.

Pj

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I would not like anything less that the 28efi if running a 60" deck.

4. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Hey PJ, doesn't Kohler make a 31hp L/C EFI. I think that would make a great addition to the super Z line up!

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Unfortunately it is not made in a vertical shaft version.
    Bummer!!

Pj

6. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I think in this situation you might want to go with the Kohler,, more power is always better,, BUT, before you decide. Check the specs. maybe the Kaw is going to give you just as much torque (???) maybe?

7. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, its a 29hp digital fuel injection and L/C by Kawasaki that runs on the JD Ztraks

8. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

From my Experiences on selling these units the past 3 + last year. The liquid cooled 26 kawi was a disappointment.Yes, we were comparing to the 27 kawi which is a beast of power. The 26 liquid has about the same power then the 25 air cooled kawi. It was a solid engine with no problems but no were near the torque of the 27 kawi.
    We sell a lot of 28 efi kohler and 25 kawi. We prefer the kawi ourselves but more power is always needed. Kawi is working on a new engine as we speak 3 or 4 valve per cylinder in the 30 + hp . I think this will be something to really look forward tooo!

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive been cutting stuff lately that a few extra HP would of gone a long way! 28efi is good, but more is better!

Why the hell isnt there a vert shaft 28+HP or so diesel on a regular framed SZ? Hypotheticly I mean!

I would buy one tomorrow!

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

To my knowledge there isn't a vertical shaft diesel in that hp range.

Pj