25 Kaw, or 24 Honda?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Any thoughts on which would be the mower of choice should I go with a Hustler Z of some sort? I have had a hundred and one headaches with my 22 water cooled kaw. Not familar with the big air cooled units, or the Honda, though I have heard Honda's are super engines. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What were your problems with the 22 LC Kawi?

What mower was it on?

What mower are you looking at?

Evan528 and others have the 24 Honda, they can help you out with opinions on it.

There are quite a few new engines coming out for the '03 model year. Most are over 26hp. Some liquid, some air, all quite powerful.
  3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I have a 2000 Turf Tiger.

The problem with the engine, other then starter, and muffler that failed, has really been elevated oil levels, and seeping oil from gaskets. I just discovered today that the problem is not fixed as I had hoped. It has been in numerous times. Much guessing as to what the problem was has resulted in a ton of down time for that machine. They did head gaskets cus they were sure it was not gas in the oil. That did not help. They then found a problem with the carb, thought is was leaking, and it was so they rebuilt the carb. Still a problem with the carb, ran like garbage. Down for the order of a new carb. Now my oil is up a bunch again, the grass is growing like spring now, and my mower will be down again.

I also had a nice little puddle of hydro fluid under the pump that has not been replaced, leaking seal at the back of the engine, likely from elevated oil levels, but who knows. Lost a drive shaft, which tore up alot of the frame which was replaced. The deck now sits uneven side to side, and no matter what I do, I can not bring the adjustable side back to the point of the other. Lost the battery last week. I can not wait for the other hydro to completly tank, or the engine to show damage because of scared bearings that I can not see. This beast will cost me a mint if I keep it I am afraid.

This being said, I am looking to get a Huster, or exmark. I would look at Dixie, but I bag to much to do the chopper.

Thanks a bunch
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just something that comes to mind with "increasing" oil levels....

You ARE using oil filters with an ANTI-drainback valve,....right? Without one, the oil in the filter will drain into the crankcase and severely increase its level.

Cant help you on the "SCAG" only type problems.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I have a 24 Honda on My 02 Dixie Chopper and am very happy with it. Very smooth running and plenty of power! I am also running a kohlor on my Toro Z master and it does not even compare. I have a feeling my next Dc will also have a Honda on it!;)
  6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I've been using purelator pure one, and kawasaki filters when having the problem. Not sure if they have a drain back valve.

7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Shady Brook
    I believe that the super z will be availible next spring with a koehler 26 or 28 efi motor so if you can limp through the rest of the year with your tiger it would be worth the wait.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Shady Brooke, both of the filters you mention have anti-drainback valves.