25 kaw running rough

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by roadking35, Jun 6, 2003.

1. roadking35

roadking35 LawnSite Member

Hustler Z 25 kaw...60"deck donaldson air filter 15hrs on mower
    As I was finishing my lawn the engine started running very rough,
    it felt and sounded like it was running out of fuel.
    I topped the tanks off and started it up but it still continued running the same. The engine will run at partial throttle but will not idle.
    I am out of town today but will check it out tomorrow.
    Anyone out there have a similar problem? I'm thinking fuel?
    I've always been careful, no old cans or the like.. use the same gas for other equipment with no problems.
    thanks for any suggestions
    mark

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like some debris in the carburetor, it may be plugging up a low speed jet, that would explain your running problem at idle.
    I would start by taking a look at the fuel filter.
    Let us know what you find.
    If you have any questions you can e-mail me @ hustlerturfequipment@msn.com

Pj

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If it idles fine, but is hard to get the blades engaged, or coughs while running at the highend with blades running it's the mainjet.... Just finished doing this job on my 25 Tuesday.
    Pete

4. roadking35

Changed the fuel filter... helped. Still running a little rough, seems to smooth out under load..i.e. while the blades are engaged it seems fine. Ran the same with the aircleaner off (just to check did not mow this way) still sounding like a pressure washer engine when not flowing water? RPM's going up and down.
    thanks

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like some debris in your carb.
    Being the unit is new, I would check with your dealer about getting it fixed at this point.

Pj

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

It's not unheard of to have the governor hunt a bit, especially if the rpm is set high. Also, check to make sure the spring for the choke is pulling the choke all the way to the off position. I needed to increase the spring tension a bit to get the choke to fully open.
    Pete

7. roadking35

Thanks for that advice... I'll check that also.
    I also heard that kawasaki has a problem with the breather tube to the carb kinking, causing eratic engine behavior.
    I'll let you know how it goes. By the way I heard this from the mechanic at the dealer, who by the way had a carb apart from a 25 that had less than 15 hours on it.

8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

road king having the same problem with a 22 comand on a shortcut. surges really bad with out a load at around 3100 or so but when blades engage it seems to smooth out. also another problem i was and still on occasion am having is it sounds like a lifter collapses from time to time..engine ticks really bad and I experience a lot of power loss. No one around hear seems to know what it is. That started before my engine went out of warrenty but would never do it for the dealer. So now I am stuck with a hurt engine.

9. roadking35

cajun... I hope that the dealer knows that you had the problem before warranty expired, maybe you can still have somthing done about it. Good Luck! I have a couple of things to try before I resort to taking it in to a dealer. I'll keep everyone posted on the results...

10. blairbuc

blairbuc LawnSite Member
    from CT

Cajun

there was a lifter issue on the command 25 and there was a change out after a certain engine number on the 25. I got the serial number cut off from Kohler... I think it is just a lifter switch out. Regardless, I've heard a lot of Kaw. Carb sob stories. At least a Kohler is a lot cheaper to fix. Call Kohler Tec. and see if they have any idea on the fix, they might help you out some. The guy did not pull any punches with me and got me the later engine.