25 Kawi, 24 Hoda, or 27 Kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I am looking at the 52" Hustler super mini. I realize the 27 Kohler would probably be better, but they are harder to find. I would be happy with the 25 Kawi, but I have read a few bad stories about that engine. The Honda I just don't know about. I know they make great small engines, but unsure about the newer large power plants.

I am already pushing the price on this mower and I'm not sure if the dealer can meat my budget on the 27 Kohler. I'm paying cash, so it's not like I just add $500 more to the credit. The wife said keep it at $7500 because you don't really need another mower. She is right, I just want another toy :)

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have about 300 hours on my 25HP Kaw. No problems thus far.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If the Kohler is over your budget then i'd probibly go with the Kawasaki. The Honda would also be a good engine as well. How much is the price difference between the Honda and Kaw.?

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats very business savy. congrats!

5. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Before I sold my LCO on Jan 1, we had a MiniZ with the 24 Honda. We put 450 hours this season on the engine w/o ANY problems. This is a gret engine. There has been some reports of Kawasaki problems but we haven't seen any patterns in our shop. Granted we don't have many Kawasaki's out in the field.

But I would recommend the 24 Honda. They are a little cold natured first thing in the AM. But give them about 30 seconds to warm up and they run like a clock!

6. Soupy

Well it will replace another mower and then that mower will be backup. Or I might just sell the Huster Z because it is out of warranty. It has less then 400 hours on it and that bis why I really don't need to replace it yet, but I want a warranty. I only paid $4500 for the Hustler Z (homeowner with 28 hrs) so I can get my money back on that. Si It is a little business savvy :)

7. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Yea I have the Honda on mine and it runs real smooth. No problems whatsoever. I try to go with Honda engines on all my mowers. I have never had a problem and doesnt seem like I ever will.

8. Soupy

Thanks for the replies, Keep them coming. I will check tomorrow and see if I can fit the 27 Kohler in the budget.

The Honda is $100 less then then Then the Kawi, and the Kohler is $100 more then the Kawi. The problem is I am working off a price I got for the Hustler Z 23/52, It is $150 less then the cheapest Super Mini with Honda. If He will give me a comparable offer then I would be willing to add a few hundred for the upgrades.

I just want to have an idea of what engine I need to focus on, so when I start dealing tomorrow I know what to ask for.

9. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I can't comment on the 25 Kawasaki but I have a 23 Kawasaki on my Z. The upper crankshaft bearing went out at 1600 hours and the engine had to be replaced. I'm not sure what the average life of these engines are but i've had the Z three years and it cost $1800 to get it fixed.

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Get the kohler or honda, I went kohler myself. :) I'm sure you can squeeze the kohler in there, just think about how much faster you can go with the extra hp. :D