25 Kohler question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HOMER, Feb 13, 2005.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Been having some troubles with my tired old 25 Kohler. It's been sitting all winter so this afternoon I put a valve cover gasket on it and air up the tires..........get her cranked and let it run for a while. Started to get dark so as I was checking for oil leaks and other problems I noticed the tailpipe on the right side was glowing red......the left side was not as bad, barely noticeable. The reason I parked it was because it was losing power............get in some heavy stuff and it would almost quit. I've had a head gasket replaced recently, a new muffler, new plugs...........and the shop I take it to says the compression is good on both sides. Where should I start looking for problems? Could it be that the head gasket has blown again?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Valve problems can cause that in some engines. You might need a valve job.

3. mission007

mission007 LawnSite Member

sounds like the the key on the flywheel side might be out of time cause it to fire wrong a guy in may small engine repair class had the same problem & a new key fixed it.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would say you either have a valve problem or your engine is slightly out of time. Might try replacing the flywheel key and see what happens like someone else said.

5. HOMER

Would that also cause the sluggishness?

Is this something a novice mechanic can do or should I bite the bullet and take her in to see the Doc?

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd say that you'd be better off if you bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic.

7. HOMER

I'd say your probably right....................I know me and wrenches!

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like an intake manfold gasket i have to replace them all the time