25 Kohler vs. 25 Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lee b, Mar 22, 2002.

1. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

How does the 25 hp Kawi compare to the 25hp Kohler - power, fuel economy, and otherwise? Thanks

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Kawi uses more fuel per hour. But, I think you will get more hours before a rebuild/replacement is needed with a Kawi over a Kohler.

my 2 cents

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's tough to tell how many hours you will get out of a engine that's only been available for about a year now. The issues I have with the Kawasaki engine are regarding filters. There are no heavy duty air filters available for the current generation of Kaw v-twins. With the Kohler you get a choice of either the Enginaire or the Donaldson heavy duty cannister air cleaner. It is also said that the Kaw doesn't build enough oil pressure to make using a Amsoil bypass 10 micron oil filter worthwhile. The Kohler does make the needed oil pressure and the filters come stock on a lot of Dixie Choppers.

The new generation Kaw 25 that will be coming out later this year will have a heavy duty cannister filter as an option but the filter will not be retrofitable to the current engines.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Enginaire now has the 3-stage cannister air filter system available for the 23 HP Kawasaki VERTICAL Shaft (FH680V). You can look at it on their website.

I'm meeting the tech @ Diesel Power (my local Enginaire dist.) in the next week or two to see if the kit will work on the HORIZONTAL (FH680D) series as well. Mounting the baseplate could possible be an issue (but they are not sure without seeing it) and asked that a tote the Lazer over so they could take a peek at it and do some measurments. Wish me luck. :)

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The 25 hp Kohler is 50cc's bigger in displacement than the 23+25 Kawi, yet the Kawi's feel stronger in real life comparisons....Why, my educated guess is that Kawi puts their torque curve (not much curve, mostly flat!) higher in the RPM range. We dont mow at 2200 RPM (Kohlers peak there with 40 lb/ft) we mow at 3600+ RPM. Kawasaki makes right around 40 lb/ft (+/- 1) from 1800 all the way to 3000 RPM's, then it slightly drops from there to 35 lb/ft @ 3600. They look to have 42 lb/ft from 2200 to 2600 RPM. This makes this engine feel stronger when it is actually 50cc's smaller. If I were to go back to a Kohler (eeks!) I would go with their 26hp EFI. That motor honks!

As for economy, you would have to outfit two identical machines and take carefull measurements on both. As a rule though, to make power, you need fuel, and we know the Kawi wins with power, so it would tend to use more fuel. The Kawi has a two barrel carb and when its working hard, its thirsty!

As for air filters, Thats entirely up to aftermarket air filter companies, not Kawi or Kohler. Although Kohler does market their own High Capacity Air cleaner. I personally have a Kawi with a Donaldson, so it CAN be done.

As for external remote oil filters not being recommended by Kawi, its not a pressure or volume issue. It is simply a: "we make our engine OUR way, any deviation from this is NOT recommended by the manufacturer." If they NEEDED external oil cooling/filtering, Kawi would have it that way from the factory. They dont want to be liable for some oil line getting snagged by a branch, wiping out their otherwise perfectly fine engine, and a large section of Lawn.

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I'm not familiar with the 25 Kawi, but all their other engines have been great. Ive used 4 kohler 25's and everyone had some little problems from the get go-however they were great about covering them. I know around here kohler parts are abou 2/3's the price of kawi parts and much easier to get also.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody always brings up the prive of Kawi parts vs. Kohler Parts. What type of parts are you guys buying? Filters and plugs are all I ever did to any of my engines, and they are all aftermarket.

I would like to know, so I can start saving up for these parts...now! :confused:

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to the website and did not see anything about the 3-stage filter for 23hp kawasaki motors. If this fits your 23 hp kawi, let us know. That is what I am looking for.
    This is the only broblem with kawi motors, the filter system, I hope they get something to put on the older kawi motors also. I will probally replace with the kohler motor for the heavy duty filters available. :(

TLS- More of a concern to me is the availability of parts for the kawasaki motors.I needed some seals one time and a coil another time and it took almost two weeks to get them. That is a real joke. :angry:

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

When the new cannister filter system is available for the Kawi's it will go back and retrofit.
    You will have to do some carb work, as in replacing jets, but you will be able to use the new filter system.

Later
    Pj

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Premo Services:

OOPS...my bad.

The thing I saw at the website was the adapter kit for the TURBO PRE-CLEANER for the Kawi 23 Vert.

http://www.enginaire.com/serv01.htm

Still this would be a big improvement over the stock setup.

When I called and talked to them (Enginaire) they steered me to the local distributor to look into the Integrated VFR (cannister) setup to see if it would fit my application.

The tech at Diesel Power said he could get the 'flow specs' from Kawi for my engine and match it to the proper cannister. The only thing he said about this was that we would need to be sure we mounted the correct spec'ed unit because the plate is sealed on the Enginaire units and the Kawi air filter plates have those passageways that lead to the blower box...thus changing the air flow spec's to the carb once they are eliminated.

I suppose he is wanting to make sure that the carb is recieving the same amount of airflow at the carb opening as the factory setup...thus retaining the factory carburation calibration and settings.

I'll keep you guy's posted as this adventure develops. :)