$25 per 1000sf too much $$$ for aeration/overseed/fertilize

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frank2, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Here's the deal. Reading through all the posts on aeration and overseeding and using the pricing guide from my local lesco, it looks like an average price for aeration/overseed/starter fertilize is around $25 per 1000sf. Now when using this on a smaller lawn like 10,000sf and having to aerate by hand....the pricing structure seems to work out ok.
    In the case of a larger property which I am giving a price to, it seems to be ridiculously high. Property is 55,000sf. It can be done w/ a pull behind aerator. So $25 x 55 = $1375.00
    I will have around $350 invested in materials (seed/fertilizer/rental of aerator). I'm am figuring on about a half day to complete. So.................$1375.00 - $350.00 = $1025.00
    $1025.00 seems like a lot of money to make. Yeah, i have to go get the supplies, aerator, ins, wear on machine, etc....but that seems like a hell of a lot of $$$ for this job.
    I'm thinking more like $15 per 1000sf for the aerate/overseed/fertilize. I don't want to low ball....but the $25 seems high.
    Am I RIGHT or am I WRONG?????????????
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

how much are you paying for the fert & seed per bag. my local supplier is selling starter fert for $9.50 a bag that covers 12k and 50 lb bags of seed blue-fescue-rye mixture for $55. I would break it down and charge for each separately.
  3. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

how are you seeding?
    Slice seeding or just broadcast seeding?
    We get $35 per 1,000 just for slice seeding. Plus aeration and starter fertilizer!
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

$25 per 1k
    -$10 for seed
    $15 per 1k

Now add in cost of fertilizer and aerator. A real aerator cost money to own and operate. The tines, fuel, oil, belts, cables, replacement cost, insurance, truck, trailer, tires, truck fuel, wear and tear, etc. Shall I keep going?

$25 per 1k is a losing proposition on smaller jobs. Plain and simple.

I get over twice that and have more work than I can possibly get done in a timely manner.
  5. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

No slice seeding....just broadcasting. don't get me wrong here guys....i try to make as much money as the market will allow me to....plain and simple. I understand the overhead thing...anyone in this business finds that out real quick. Just running the numbers...the price of $1375.00 seemed high to me and if it seemed high to me...i know it will seem high to the good old cheapo customers.
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget about the cheepo cuatomers, they are not worth the time or effort!!! Just go with the customers that go for quality and NOT PRICE. You will be much happier in the end.

Just a suggestion,

Good luck,

7. Clean Cut Lawns

Do you get any results with the broadcast seeding, you need good soil/seed contact for results. I would have to make three passes with the aerator.

Another why to arrive at a price is brake it down

Seed 55,000 sq feet at 3lbs per thousand is 165 lbs@ $3=$495
    Rental (if any) $100.00
    Fertilizer 2 bags at $26 $52.00
    Time 5 hours @ $45 $225.00
    Overhead for day $100.00

Your at $972

and then come the call backs for those areas that never came up.
    then what do you do???????????:rolleyes:
  8. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Overseeding? Are you raking the seed into the holes or are you just spreading it?and then spreading fert?
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Years in business 0-1

I think your underestimating the amount of work and situation involved in 1.25 acres of turf. At just $10 per 1k of cost your at $550 in cost.

How would I know about this type thing? Over 1/2 my business is aerating and seeding.
  10. Clean Cut Lawns

You should be making about $2000 per day with seeding and aerating.....
    or just mow lawns its easier