25 yards of mulch in 4 hours?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 2, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Ok guys. Got a customer who wants brown hardwood mulch. I have access to 3 extra guys but only part time. I could get them from 12-4 on wed and fridays. I've already got the job and I bid it to make money in my eyes. It will be a mulch installation and probably some small pruning. So my question is....

How long would it take 3 guys and maybe me to spread 25 yds of mulch? Lot size is under 1/2 acre, mulch would be delivered and dumped at the front of the lot, 2 wheel barrows moving it with 1 loading and maybe 1 spreading it out.

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to figure if I can do this in half a day or is it going to be a saturday job?

2. Tq23

Tq23 LawnSite Member

Depending on how easy the install is, i would estimate between 18-25 labor hours.

3. BlazerRidge

BlazerRidge LawnSite Member

I've got a job installing 20 CY in about a week and in the estimate I charged just the mulch install at 22 labor hours

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

As fast as the guys humping the wheel barrels. The 4hrs are more then enough.

5. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

It all depends on how easily accesible the beds are and open the area is. But pruning alone could take 4 hours. Knowing the bid price can help figure the man hours it will take. If you share we can better help. But 4 hours is definitly not enough. (And is that 4 hours per man). I figure it takes roughly 1 man hour to spread one yard of mulch. So my best for you is 25 man hours plus how ever long it takes to prune.

6. grandview (2006)

i think he is asking about the 4 hrs he has from 12-4 not so much man hrs.

7. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I've heard from multiple sources the "average" 1 guy and 1 wheelbarrel can spread is 1 yard per hour. So one yard per man hour.

But we average closer to double that usually, and sometimes more, using only wheelbarrels, pitchforks and rakes. What I do is have 2 guys with 10cu ft wheelbarrles constantly trucking the mulch to a third guy with an iron rake. Timing works out pretty well.

If a yard is 27cu ft, with the bigger wheelbarrels youre moving basically 1/3 yard per trip.

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I think you will be hard pressed to do 25 in 4 hours unless the beds are real easy to get to and your guys are working like rented mules.

9. grandview (2006)

you'd be surprised how fast you can go.If you have 2 guys hauling and one guy spreading and not each doing their own work ,you can pop it off in no time. Really 1hr 1 yrd is a little slow to me.

10. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Thanks guys. The beds are around the border of the property, around the house, and some tree rings. I'm thinking the majority of the job can be done my dumping the mulch and spreading it with a seed rack. The farthest bed would be about 75 feet from the dump site. Very flat lot. I have 1 big wheel barrow(the big ones with 2 front wheels) and the other is a good size one with one wheel.

Met with the customer about the pruning and there is very little of it. Some beds don't have any pruning.

I was thinking one guy loading wheel barrows, 2 guys pushing the wheel barrows to the site and the 4th guy spreading it out. I can have the guys from 12-4is so we are looking at 16-20 possible man hours.

I hate to leave mulch on a tarp in someone driveways overnight for fear of rain and staining.