250 bushes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AllSeasonsAllReasons, Feb 20, 2001.

1. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

Here is the deal guy's. I just got done measuring a Pick&Save store here....It's Huge!!! The problem is they want all the bushes taken care of to....All 250 of them ranging from small to large... I am a one man operation with a part time guy if needed! Do you guys think it would be better to sub them out or go for it?? If so what would you charge for them? Thanks Alot again you guy's are great to have around!! I hope someday i can answer some questions on here!!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How big are the bushes? Just little ones? What kind are they? Is there bed work involved then, too?

3. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

180 small bushes 20 medium 50 large No bed work just trimming and clean up! Tru green does the rest!!

4. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

I think you will get alot of differt views on this
    question. We do a few large apt complex, one of
    the smaller ones has 280 bushs (99% were knee high, yews)
    we did them last year for $655.00. It took two guys
    8.5 hrs (total of 16 mhrs) I do believe this is low
    for my part of the world but its a very good account
    and I did not want the corp office surfing for bids.
    Thats $2.33 per bush, bidded another complex at $2.45
    per bush and didn't get the bid (1545 bushs). So
    keep reading this post for some more Good Information.

[Edited by GREG R on 02-20-2001 at 03:48 PM]

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Something to consider first. Do you have an easily accessed place to dump the trimmings?

If so, I say bid for it, and hope you get it.

One of our customers is a very wealthy lady that lives in a mansion. She has been trying to sell the house for a few years now, and she had potential buyers coming to look at the house and she wanted her shrubs/hedges trimmed. A little over 150 of them, and we charged her $4.00 a bush.
    Some were bigger than others, but some were real small, so it all equaled out.
    My husband did the job on a Sunday, and it took him roughly around 8 hours. Decent money for a Sunday.

One thing that made the job easy, was that he was able to dump all the trimmings right on her property. That's why I mentioned it would be good if you can dump somewhere easy without alot of hassles. Saves tons of time.

After the job was done, our customer (kinda snobby) didn't seem too impressed, and we were kinda ticked. A week later,
    when we were there cutting the grass, she tells us how when the potential buyers came to look at the house, the first thing they commented on was how nice all the shrubs and hedges looked.

So I say, if you have a spare Sunday, go for it. Use your helper that day for all the clean-up. Bid the hedges/shrubs out at 4 to 5 bucks a shrub.
    How many times a year do they want them trimmed? Once or twice? Ends up being decent money I think.

Also, it will help if you have a good pair of hedge trimmers. We have Commercial Stihl ones, and they do a good job.

[Edited by 1MajorTom on 02-20-2001 at 04:01 PM]

6. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

FIRST LET ME SAY I HOPE YOU HAVE A DAMN GOOD HEDGE CLIPPER. SECOND I HOPE YOU HAVE FOREARMS OF STEEL. WOW THAT'S A LOT OF TRIMMING. ME, BY MYSELF I CAN TRIM & SHAPE ABOUT 15-20 WAIST HIGH BUSHES AN HOUR. WHERE YOU REALLY LOSE TIME IS IN THE CLEAN-UP PART OF THE JOB. THIS YEAR I'M GOING TO HIRE SOMEONE TO HELP WITH THAT. ON A JOB OF THIS GREAT SIZE I WOULD CHARGE HALF OF MY NORMAL RATE. I GET $5.00 PER SHRUB. SO A JOB OF THIS SIZE I WOULD BID IT FOR $625.00. FIGURE IT WOULD TAKE ME APPROX. 12 HOURS TO TRIM, THAT'S $52.00 PER HOUR. THAT'S PRETTY GOOD MONEY. PAY A SCHOOL BOY OR GIRL TO HELP WITH THE CLEAN-UP OR IF YOU HAVE KIDS OF YOUR OWN PAY THEM SOMETHING TO HELP, OR MAYBE BUY THEM A PLAYSTATION OR SOME OTHER TOY THEY HAVE BEEN EYEING. AND LAST I WOULD TRY AND GET THE MOWING PART OF THIS BUSINESS ALSO. CUT THEM A DEAL ON THE BUSHES IF THEY GIVE YOU THE MOWING AND THE BUSHES. HEY, GET IT ANY WAY YOU CAN.
    GOOD LUCK,
    Mowman

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowman
    Why do you always post in nothing but caps? It's very hard to read.

Concerninbg the bushes. Down here I get $35 -$40 per hour for trimming and cleanup per man.

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I usually figure a rate at 5.00 per shrub from small to medium size. When they get about chest high and as far as I can reach across them without moving then it is 10.00 per shrub. When they get to my head it is 15.00.

Killer about doing so many shrubs so long, is it really gets you in your back. I did a row of about thirty really short shrubs one time without ever standing up straight until I reached the end of the row. I thought I was never going to be able to standup. I cannot imagine trimming 8 hours straight! I always do my trimmings sparadically, one small account today, front of another one next week, back the next day or so, and so on.

Cleanup depends on shrub types trimmed and location of shrubs. Many times most clippings can be blown around under the shrub or just left alone to diminish almost right away.

Biggest tip for trimming, in my opinion. Trim the shrub, then shake your hand while running your hand through the branches. Then trim again. This will get the sprouts and branches that would have popped up a few days after you trimmed, thus making it look like you missed them and did a bad job. Some guys use a rake, I just use my hands.

9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

i get $3.50 per plant to shape or dead head up to 5'. My largest trim is 580 plants and it is worth it (part of a total package). Over 5' trimming I charge out the wallet. I dont like to do em but I will.

10. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

P.S. my trimmer get about 3 men per gallon!