250 Deere

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed on my Series II skid steer that when setting on the machine if you look at where the booms actually touch the skid steer machine that it actually sets to one side of the machine more than the other. Is this normal? The booms actually set flat against the machine on both sides so nothing appears bent. Also I notice a little movment of the booms when going into piles. It will either go left or right and rub the bracket that is on each side of the machine where you get in and out. How much is normal movement? I know these bracket are for support but is it normal to be touching them often?

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

How many hours on your machine?

This "problem" has been noticed by alot of guys around here that have deere skids. In fact, after about 1000 hours you can actually push the boom by hand back and forth and get it to start rocking left to right.

I don't know what the service or manufacturer will tell you, but the guys that have them around here are (almost in unison) looking for a place or a way to dump the machine and get another brand.

3. Fieldman12

It has about 1900 hrs on it.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, it's a common problem for the 200 series skid steers. The pins and bushings simply do not hold up as well as they should and over time, play in the bushings starts to occur. The best I can tell you is that you can either deal with the problem as the resale on that machine is shot as is sits, or buy another machine. The cost of line boring and installing new pins and bushings simply wouldn't be worth your time.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am sure Deere 270 will tell us that his Deere is the best ever and that everyone around him runs Deere skid steers. However everyone else that I know that has one has not been happy with them. I actually don't know anyone that has put that many hours on one. Most of the guys around here either traded them for another brand or Deere gave them a new one. There is one guy here who has bought one Deere skid and is on Deere number 5. He is tired of the POS and is now trading out of the Deere skid. The boom slop is a common complaint even on the 300 series. You may try and shim the side to side motion out of the boom if you can using large washers (the dealer probably has special shims for this). I don't know how those pins come out but they must be made to shim some how I would think. If the machine has been good for you, you may have the machine fixed but like Scag said you would be best to trade out of it. Deere may give you a smokin deal on another one. They seem to be good that way.

6. Fieldman12

Actually beleive it or not the reason I bought the Deere machine is because around here the Deere skid steers are loved. I was told to buy a Deere over a Bobcat, Caterpillar, and the others by several people. I was also told that the Case and New Holland machines where very good machines also. As far as constuction equipment from what I have been around I beleive Cat is the best. Case and Deere make good equipment also.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The old deer skids were 90% new holland skids. I think the first all deere skids were the 250's...Which explains the problems.

If you want a reliable but simple skid, look at New Holland, if you want bells and whistles look at Bobcat.

Personally, my only experience with Case has been the 1845 loader, which is a great old machine.

I'm still on the fence on cat.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Cat makes some of the best skids (radial lift machines anyway, Cat's vertical lift is terrible) you can buy next to Case. Period. Bobcat is all about operator comfort, Deere likes to think their machine is best, NH are just bulletproof, no frills machines, Case is straight durability, and Cat likes to roll just about all of that into one. The first thing I think of when I think of Cat skids is ease of use, not so much comfort, but the pilot controls handle so well I just can't have it any other way. The amount of control the pilot system gives the operator is immense. Most of the guys who don't like the pilot system are veterans of yank 'em sticks and don't see any other way. Cat provides a solid machine that is extremely durable, the motors are bulletproof, the cabs are comfy yet not designed with the space shuttle in mind (Bobcat), and overall they get the job done. The joke of it is, Cat skids really aren't much more expensive than Bobcat or any other brand. In fact, when we bought our 216, it was less than a comparable Bobcat.

9. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

my 270 has been good to me its been in the shop 1 time in the 5 years i have owened it to put in a block heater other than regular mant it hasent cost me a dime .a lot better than i can say about the cat 246 or the bobcat 873 i had ..my booms feel tight but i do grease alot.there are a lot of deeres around here my deeler is 2 miles from me and the mechanics are my friends and they say that they rarely have to work on them

10. Fieldman12

I called my local Deere dealer today (JD Equipment) and the guy in the shop said this was the first time he had heard of this. I was at work so I did not have my serial number with me. He said if I had my serial number he could look up what all has been done to the machine plus any updates. It's not real bad but is noticeable. He said that hitting the stops was normal as I figured.