$250 for a Ryan aerator w/ blown motor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Had a guy offer to sell me a Ryan aerator for $250. It has a b&s 3hp motor that is locked up ,but otherwise looks to be in good shape. I have no idea about the price of these so I could use a little help. I have not offered this service but am planning on it otherwise I would not even consider this purchase.
  2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

How the the motor blow? That engine doesn't sound to be too exspensive so see what one cost also how old is the unit and what else does it need? You don't want to spend over $1000 in parts and engine...
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For 5 bills or less, you can have that thing up and running again in no time.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a pretty good buy! Even if the motor is totally toast you can pick up a new B&S or even a honda engine for between $220 and $330 (northern tool 3.5 hp.) If the rest of the machine is in good shape and the gearbox (gear reduction) turns ok then I'd say it's a good buy. even if you only use it a dozen times you have paid for it many times over and have saved that much in rental fees plus you have access to it 24/7.
  5. Smitty58

I have a couple of push mowers I could steal a motor off of so I was thinking it was a good buy ,just curious if anyone knows what these guys sell for new.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well you are going to need a horizontal shaft engine, most all push mowers, if not all, have verticle shaft engines...

Cost new for an areator I believe is around $2,600.00 if it's a lawn aire IV. the 26" model is close to $3,000. So you can see why it's a good deal even if you have to invest $600 or $700 including the purchace price of the machine!
  7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If the rest of the machine looks good then Buy it ! I had a B&S lock up on me because it ran out of oul (burned it in a day) and I added oil the next morning and it runs good as new.
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerator for $250? I'd be all over that like stink on crap.. As long as the rest of the machine is cool, that's a steal..
  9. Smitty58

Well I bought this aerator. It is a Ryan Lawnaire III. Does anyone know how old this thing could be? I know the new models are lawnaire IV and lawnaire V on Ryan's website ,so just wondering how old a model 3 is.
  10. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member