2500 duramax lifespan ???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nnkrealtor, Mar 1, 2007.

1. nnkrealtor

nnkrealtor LawnSite Member

I know this is a broad question but approx. How many miles can I expect to get out of a 2500 Duramax. I am looking at a 04 silverado crew cab with
    75k miles and they are asking 28500 . Sounds like alot for that many miles but if I can get 350k out of it it might be worth it. This will be my first diesel that is why I really don't know what to expect as far as milage. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

eternal - I hope!

The 2007 comes with a 100,000 mile engine and power train warranty if that tells you anything.

Tim

3. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I dont think the duramax will go that far, especially an 04....as far as the price i think thats too high. I dont think ive seen a duramax with more than 175k. All the diesels out of the big three come with 100,000 mile warrantys. thats a given.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The LLY (04-05 model years) motor is not as good as the LB7 or the LBZ in my opinion. That is not to say they are not durable.

6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

yep! that LBZ is damn impressive. havent towed with one though...

7. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

Ive heard that some Duramax engines (I dont remember which ones) were really only a 150,000 mile engine. I am a Ford guy myself but I dont want to get that started. The Ford 7.3 is an engine that refuses to die.

8. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

i was hearing they go about 150-200k before they need rebuildin. so i dont know.

9. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

The Ford 7.3 will run for 4 or 500,000 usually before you even have to think about rebuilding. I have a friend who has 7.3 and a 4-speed auto in a '96 E350. Its nearing the 400,000 mark and is still running strong with only a couple of minor problems. That big ol cargo van body is going to rust right off that truck long before the engine up and dies.

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=11548

Here is a thread going on the Diesel Page.com

200K miles or less before a rebuild would not cut it. The length between rebuilds varies. I have seen 7.3's that never made 100K and others that have gone 2-300 K. The Duramax is every bit a long life motor as anything else on the market. Izuzu builds a great motor. There commerical diesels are very durable and are run in many off road applications. CASE, Deere, Hitachi, Link Belt all use Izuzu diesel engines in their excavators. I think the Duramax will prove that it will be a long life motor. It has not been out that long in respect to the 7.3 and 5.9