2500HD 6.0 Gas milage.....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TLS, May 26, 2004.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

'04 GMC Regular cab 2500HD 6.0 4.10's

Here is my milage history starting with MY first figureable tankfull....

1) 10.53 mpg 304 miles driven 28.86gal
    2) 8.94 mpg 246 miles driven 27.53gal
    3) 8.31 mpg 256 miles driven 30.81gal
    4) 8.92 mpg 274 miles driven 30.73gal

So you can see, all these fills were allmost full tanks, all filled up to filler neck. The last two, the low fuel light came on. Thats all I have now, as I only have about 1600 miles on it.

I was expecting MUCH better. Granted, most of these miles are towing my 16' open trailer (Just under 5,000lbs), and the others are hot-footing it around town on short trips.

I was expecting the double digit milage to continue after that first tankfull. Guess I was wrong.

It runs like a raped ape, so its not like something is mechanically wrong with it.

Anyone else experiencing single digit milage like this?

I would like to think that on a long highway trip, I could see 12mpg, but that may be it.

I purposly DIDN'T consider a Diesel, mainly due to the stop/go, around town driving that I do. Think I may have gotten 12 had I got the Duramax.

Any of you 6 Liter guys want to post your numbers?

2. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

Two guys at my station have 6 liters. Neither of them has ever gotten over 13 unloaded on a long highway trip. Both of them are now looking at diesels.

I'm very sure the Duramax would have gotten much better than 12. My diesel gets 18 towing my tandem axle trailer loaded with equipment.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My max speed during the mowing week is about 35mph with about 3-5 minutes between stops.

I've had the truck almost exactly 3 full months and only have 1,606 miles!

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend in the business that had the same set-up as you and was getting the same terrible mileage. He got rid of it.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I cant complain.

My 454 in my other truck gets a consistant 8-9 mpg, and this new truck will run circles around the big block in terms of power, so , power cost $ and gas = $.

6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That makes me feel better, mine is older and does about 9 mpg, i was going to get a newer truck in hopes of getting better mileage, but I am thinking now that it will not improve that much and may just take a loan and get a mid 90s diesel.

guess its one of those things that comes with this business.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess with only 1600 miles, It's hardly broken in yet.

I need a nice long highway trip to get some highway figures.

8. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you get more responses concerning MPG and diesels.
    I'm surprised that your mileage is that low but, considering it's new and pulling a trailer??? it might improve somewhat over time.

A higher gear (lower numerically) might had helped.
    I would like to see what you get with less hot-footing.

I saving for a Diesel 2wd 3/4ton truck, probably a Ford and my whole reason for this purchase is mileage and torque.

My present truck is a 3.0 1997 Ranger, it's MPG stays around 15-19mpg. My lowest is 13 and highest is 19mpg.
    I believe I could get that in a full size truck!!

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Gear ratio choice wasn't an option. I'd likely prefer a 4.56 if it was available. For the around town, slow speed driving that I do, the lower the better.

Less hot-footing, huh?....Yeah....me to! :p

It's just too much fun! This things quicker than 95% of the cars out there! Fun, fun, fun!!!

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

yah my 04' HD is getting around the same, it seems like I fill it up every other day. I think it's getting a little better now that I'm over the initial "wow this things got ballz and I think I'll use all of it's power everytime I pull out" phase, my foot seems a little light now.