255sx

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by itteitj, Nov 12, 2005.

1. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

As I was installing new zone, My machine died. It had been running about 20 minutes and the thing just shut down. I think it is electrical as there is plenty of fuel in the beast. My questions are, is there any fuse that could have blown, is there a low level hydraulic fluid shut off, how can I test the electrical system to see what is going on, how can I move the machine without starting it. Any help will be very greatly appreciated. This is an older model, 1995 or so and I had it in the yard not being used. I would start it and run it every week and it was fine. Today I decided to use it for the last zone instead of my trencher and it crapped out. I need some help guys.
    Tom

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What engine is on that one? The two cylinder Onan?

3. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

onan 2 cylinder

4. Dirty Water

I'd look for the obvious parts first, if your cranking away with no spark, the first place I look is the ignition switch, and I trace the ignition line. On our Ditchwitch VP12, and our 3500 (well, the 3500 was a diesal, so it was really the fuel solinoid wire), both switches had the ignition wire come out of its crimp fitting.

BTW, if you need to get your plow blade out of the ground, you can operate it while cranking the starter, but only do it in 10 second bursts with a few minutes of cool down in between.

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

My 255 did the same thing last spring. I put a voltmeter on the battery and it was about 8. Put in a new battery and the gauge showed about 11 with the engine running. UHOH.

I contacted DitchWitch and they recommended replacing the regulator. Same result. I started tracing the charging circuit and it came back to the key switch. Bought one for $7 at an auto parts store and it fixed it all. DW allowed me to return the regulator.

Good luck,

John:p

6. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a new key switch but I think I should have replaced the wire harness because I had some bad wires and made some repairs. Do you know if there are any mechanical interlocks which would allow engine to crank but not start?

7. Dirty Water

I think the kill switch kills the starter line as well, at least it does on our 410.

Start tracing the wire harnes.

8. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I would not think that there are mechanical interlocks. But then again, I have a lot easier time with electrical snafus than mechanical.

John:dizzy:

9. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I was thinking about low oil or hydraulic fluid.

10. Dirty Water

Why don't you pull the dipsticks? Easier than looking for a kill switch.