25horse kubota diesel for 72" deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Jun 3, 2007.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to replace a couple zero turns and I am wondering if the 25 horse kubota diesel is enough power for a 72" deck? I see that Toro, Kubota, and Scag all offer this engine choice so it must work. Does anyone have a zero with the "smaller" diesel?

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

What is the torque on the Kubota 25 diesel?

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,considering that there r machines ranging up to 40 hp and 1.5 ltr the 900cc 22--25hp[some makers list it at 22hp] diesel would only be considered an entry level engine size .Remember diesel in some machines is for the fuel availability/safety reasons only not 4 the additional benifits a diesel can provide such as extra power /torque .

Torque will be similar to the 28 efi kohler .
    As u stated it will mow using a 72 inch but a larger engine will do it faster particularly as the cutting conditions degrade.[wet long thick etc etc ]

tomo:waving:

4. Scag says is not since they don't offer the 25hp diesel with a 72" deck only a 61".Kubota 331 with a 72" deck thats the mower I would get.

5. I've been operating 25 hp diesels on 72" decks for a decade. It's been enough power for a full discharge deck. It'll only cut it once and discharge the clipping in one piece.
    Those decks that cut up the clippings multiple times would require more power. IMHO

6. HazellLawnCare

I am leaning more towards a Toro or Exmark machine. I have owned several Kubotas in the past and they were well built just did not cut good enough for my taste. I know the new deck is awesome but my dealer takes for ever getting parts. So my options are the Toro with the 27 horse Diahatsu or the Exmark with the 25 horse Kubota. Which machine would you go with? Toro is my first pick but...........
    I guess I could do a 997 Deere, any comments on that machine?

7. DieselXP

DieselXP LawnSite Member

Well Hazell your in luck, I currently own a 2yr old 27hp diahatsu exmark 60" ultra cut deck and just purchased a 25 hp kubota exmark 60" triton deck. In my opinion they are both the same, the kubota being newer has some better technologies but both cut, stripe, mulch, and bag extremely close to one another.

Where I live, the toro was about $1500.00 cheaper but I had no problem paying the difference for the Exmark. The exmark has no flat front tires, larger rear tires, larger pumps for the drive wheels, 24 hour parts guarantee, better seating, 25hp diesel vs 23 hp diesel on toro,

Definetely EXMARK!!!!!!

8. HazellLawnCare

I am more concerned about the 25 horse Kubota on a 72" deck. I could go gas but I would rather be able to run non tax diesel.

9. tomo

hello, Toro 597 diahatsu diesel model
    26inch tyres on rear
    t/force deck
    12mph t/speed 21cc pumps
    oil cooler
    suspension seat standard
    hydraulic cooling fan

Toro 593 kub motor
    24 inch tyres
    t/f deck
    smaller pumps slower than 597
    no cooler
    no suspension seat
    only an electric fan
    90 degree gearbox on the deck belt good or bad hmmn ???????
    All these specs were from november last year

The 900cc kub fitted to 593 ranges from 22-25 hp depending on mower .
    To cut a long story short the diahatsu 950cc and the kubota 900cc produce around the same power 2--3% difference .This is referenced from the dyno sheets from there web sites .Fuel consumption is slighly better on the kub . IT IS ONLY MARKETING B***S*** or to put another way smoke and mirrors etc [donot be fooled ]

tomo

10. tomo

hello, j/d 997 compared to exmark/kub toro/diahatsu

The
    jD is a different class of machine mainly due to its size .It is one long unit . The 1.3 litre yanmar is suppose to be a good unit . The j/d also has hydraulic deck drive [very very good idea ][way better than a 90 degree b/box eg exmark/ kub ].The j/d will most likely have parts on it that r only availabe thru j/d $$$$. Customer support will be better with toro exmark ,These machines r produced on the same production line .

tomo:waving: