1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

25hp kawasaki misfiring need help

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Volkilmer, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Volkilmer

Volkilmer LawnSite Member

I have replaced the fuel filter & fuel lines,cleaned the carb & checked for water in the gas. The air filter is clean & the plugs look fine except for being black from the flooding. the mower only has 79hrs on it. any help would be appreciated.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If your plugs are black, this means your engine is running rich, as in to much fuel, have you removed the air filter just to see if it smooths out when you have it parked? does it misfire all the time or only from time to time when driving the mower?
    In some cases the air filter may look ok, but it may be plugged.
    How old is your mower? what is the serial #? e-mail it to me if you don't want to post it here.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Since it is a Kawasaki engine, you also need to have the coils checked. One or the other may be operating improperly. We see a lot of coil problems on all types of Kawasaki twin cyl. engines. In fact, the Kawasaki engines have a reputation for coil problems.
  4. Volkilmer

Volkilmer LawnSite Member

Changed the spark plugs today & now it runs fine. I was wondering if it had a bad coil, would replacing the plugs make it run better for a while or if it had a bad coil would changing the plugs not work at all.
  5. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds crazy, but 92 octane made my 23 kawi do that... Switched back to 87 and all is good. check your air filter. If all else fails-it could need a valve adjustment.
  6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The above posts are all good points, I would still check the air filter, if it is plugged it will cause the engine to run rich and foul the plugs.